Skip to main content

Welcome to the Beginning

Welcome to my blog, tis bout my fruit & veg growing allotment in Somerset U.K.
I started Allotmenteering seriously in 2009, hoping that it would keep me fit & active after a severe illness. This is the story so far.
 

N1 Plot 2009
N1 Plot How It Was in 2009
I was allocated a full plot from several new ones that had just been added to my local allotments. The plot had been unused for over 30 years. In fact this particular area of ground was last used when horses & ploughs were working on it. Looking at the type of weeds growing on it I knew it would be fertile and acidic. It was approximately 30 meters long x 15 wide and on a gentle downward slope from the allotment access road to the bank of a drainage ditch & hedgerow at the bottom of the slope.


After the ground where my shed was to go had been leveled and the shed construction was underway, it was time to mark out the various planting areas for fruit & veg, paths & perimeters.


Shed building & marking
out the plot Aug 2009

 The soil from the drainage ditch bank contained oodles of soot (dumped there many years ago). 50% of the bank was leveled & the soil/soot barrowed and spread over the planting areas. The other 50% of the bank was left intact to protect a variety of wildlife (lots of frogs) & wild plants living around the drainage ditch & hedgerow. The planting areas (except for 1) had previously been cleared of weeds by hand & forked over removing debris & large stones.



By the time I had the marking out done, shed, compost & manure bins constructed and the fruit & veg beds dug over it was the middle of October. The weather had been sunny & hot as work continued. I added wooden edging to the individual fruit & veg beds, made from pine offcuts & old pallet wood. (The pine offcuts seemed to deter slugs from sneaking onto the beds)? This could have been due to the rough surfaces of the pine bark or the smell of pine they didn't like? 

 All construction so far had been done using recycled materials except for 1 water barrel, purchased from my local garden centre.



I Love Strawberries

Now was my chance to get some planting done before the onset of Winter. Strawberries, Gooseberries, Black & Red Currents & 4 Goji Berries were planted into the beds at the lower end of the slope, along with 4 rhubarb crowns  which I had split from an old variety crown. I planted onion sets in amongst the strawberries. 
3 fruit trees and 5 blackberry plants had been ordered earlier, for planting out in November. Just after I received delivery of the fruit trees & Blackberry plants the weather took a turn for the worse. Heavy rain and then frost & snow, halted work until the following February. I had managed to get the Blackberry plants planted along the bottom of the plot by the drainage ditch bank, but only one survived the cold Winter. The fruit trees were kept indoors wrapped in moist cardboard until the weather improved. 

 Snow in Somerset Tis too !!
Into 2010         


It was cold wet & snowy throughout December & January so only a few tidying up jobs were done down the plot. In February I began sowing Runner Beans & Sweetcorn in pots (for an early start), keeping the pots as warm as possible inside my shed. By the end of Feb the ground in most of the veg beds was getting dry enough to rake over ready for more seed sowing. In early March I planted the 3 fruit trees I had kept indoors over the Winter. Cucumber seeds were sown into pots and kept in my cold frame. The seeds in several trays being kept indoors had gone spindly so more seeds, Tomatoes, Cabbage, Cauliflowers & Lettuce were sown under cloches directly into their seed beds, along with half a dozen rows of Carrots. 
I had decided to grow most of my veg from seed, a cheaper option than buying plants and less chance of any diseased plants spreading disease on to other plants.
The earlier sown Sweetcorn was planted out and 99 out of 100 of the Runner Beans had germinated and were also planted out. The Sweetcorn plants were kept underneath plastic milk bottles, until a couple of weeks into April, in case of any late frosts.

A couple of frosts in early April, were not severe enough to cause any real damage. As the ground & weather began to warm up more seed sowing was completed. Carrots, Swedes, Cabbage, Peas and (French Beans in May) were all sown into their allotted beds. Several rows of early spuds were sown into the last bed to be cleared of debris at the top of the plot near the road. The soil in this area seemed to be in worse condition than the others so hopefully the spuds would help to “condition” it. Main crop (Maris Piper) were added later.
2010 seemed to be flying by, the weather was generally hot with less than average rainfall, watering was having to be done regularly, even after the plants had a good soaking, a few days later
they were thirsty again!!
By June the Runner beans & Sweetcorn were coming on a treat and I had already been pulling the Crisphead Lettuce. The Strawberries were developing nicely with oodles of berries on the Alpine ones. My 4 Goji Berry plants were showing no signs of producing fruit, (These were 3 years old plants by now). The fruit trees were 1st year, but 1 Apple was developing. By October it was still, yep!!, 1 Apple. Four Pumpkins were growing nicely on top of my manure heap and the Cucumbers were running riot in amongst the Sweetcorn. In general 2010 was a good all round harvest. I was particularly pleased with the quality & amount of fruit which grew. The Runner beans & Sweetcorn were exceptional and the only downside was , 50% of my Carrots were attacked by Carrot fly & several of my outdoor Tomatoes suffered with Blight. About 50% of my Brassicas were only average, so I made a mental note to improve their planting area for 2011. July, August & September continued to be hot and dry and the usual successional planting & sowing continued. In October I planted some overwintering Onions and Cabbage. By the end of October the cold and snow came as everyone in the country will know, it was a fresh Winter. 
The only other downside of 2010 was the lack of photographs I took (or didn’t) down the plot.

Strange Weather Throughout 2011

I’ve decided to speed through 2011 so that I can concentrate on individual “up to date” posts on what’s happening down the plot, on a regular basis.
During 2011 I was working on another allotment, which was overgrown with Bindweed, Withyvine & Couch grass, my time was divided between clearing & re-designing it, as well as working on my own allotment.
The weather at the beginning of this year as most people in UK will know was like Summer. This was a good start for most seeds and plants.

My Runner beans, Lettuce, Onions, Pak-Choi, Strawberries and most other fruit &  veg were off to a flying start. The Carrots didn’t particularly like the warmer conditions and were struggling to germinate, until after a light rain shower gave them a kick start. I had to sow 3 or 4 lots of French Beans before they too germinated at the end of April, early May. The early warm weather also affected my Rhubarb plants, turning the stems soft. I had to remove all of them. Funnily enough this did the trick and I was harvesting massive Rhubarb sticks, regularly,  right through to September.
French Beans 2011 (Slow)
By the end of May, my water barrels were empty and watering with tap water didn’t have the same effect as rainwater.

The cucumbers I had started from seed were dire this year, again I think this was due to lack of rainwater. Surprisingly enough the crop I thought would suffer from the dry conditions was my potatoes, which were better than I expected, especially the “earlies”.
All of the fruit was exceptional, both in quality & abundance in particular the Strawberries, which were delicious.
Although most of the Summer was dull & overcast, apart from a few hours of rain (light drizzle), we didn’t get any significant rainfall until October. A couple of rainy days rejuvenated my Runner beans enabling me to pick several more lots of beans, ideal for the freezer. A very dry year indeed. October & November have been colder, dull, misty and damp with plenty of rain to make up for earlier in the year. A big thankx to Dave
for helping me transport 4 & a half tons of bagged  horse manure onto the plot in his van. The manure was rotavated into the beds ready for next year, just before the weather turned wet at the end of October.

November 2011
Most of my veg has been harvested by now & eaten and enjoyed by the family or stored in the freezer. Cabbages, Sprouts and some Carrots are still in situ and the vacant beds have been manured ready for next year. Mustard is growing well in the bed used for spuds earlier, and this will be rotavated into the soil later as a green manure. Most of the soil is damp now but still “workable”, so this coming week (3rd week in Nov) will be dedicated to weeding and removing dead leaves etc. My Alpine Strawberry plants are still producing quite a few strawberries.

23rd/24th November
Monday & Tuesday of this week it mostly rained so I stayed indoors doing some painting. I was back down the plot on Wednesday afternoon & got some weeding & hoeing done. The soil was damp but still workable helped by a little sunshine it had dried slightly. Quite a pleasant afternoon. Thursday afternoon was much the same, after the first frost on Wednesday night. I planted a few onions,  took 1 large cabbage home with me, for the freezer & enough French Beans for tea. Forgot to take my camera with me again!!


There's always tomorrow!!

Comments

  1. Cheers for following my blog....am very impressed by your plot. All the best, VegetableBen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! This is kind of off topic but I need some
    guidance from an established blog. Is it hard to set up your
    own blog? I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I'm thinking
    about setting up my own but I'm not sure where to start. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks

    Also visit my weblog - dicer más agradable

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful site. Plenty of helpful information here.

    I am sending it to some buddies ans additionally sharing in delicious.

    And naturally, thanks to your sweat!

    Here is my web-site Sonal MTV Roadies 10
    Also see my web page: MTV Roadies X Jouney Pics

    ReplyDelete
  5. I аll the timе useԁ to гeaԁ poѕt in news papегs but noω аs Ι am а usег of web so frοm now I
    am using net for poѕts, thankѕ tо web.


    Feel fгee to νisit my webѕite .
    .. gardening tips

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there, Ι enjoy reaԁing through youг
    article. I like to wrіte а littlе сomment to
    suрport you.

    my web site: organic reviews

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vеry nice artіclе. I definitely appreciаte this ѕite.
    Continue the good wоrk!

    Also visit my blоg post; weight loss

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply desire to say your article is as surprising.
    The clarity in your post is simply cool and i could assume you are an expert on this subject.
    Well with your permission allow me to grab your feed to keep up to
    date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the
    enjoyable work.

    Here is my blog post: Binära Optioner

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tɦis is the perfеct site foor anybody whho would like to understand this
    topic. You realize so mսch its almost Һard
    to argue with you (not that I personally will need
    to…ӉaHa). You definitely put a brand new spin on a topic that haѕ been written about fοrr many years.
    Excellent stuff, just wonderful!

    Have a lߋok at my blog post - randy & wayne cohen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Нighly enеrgetic article, I loved that a lot. Will there
    be a part 2?

    my homeoage - moderator training

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ԍood day! ӏ just want to offer уou a huge thumbs up fߋr
    the great info yߋu have heгe on this post. І'll bе coming back tо
    your website foг moгe soon.

    Here is mƴ weblog get free instagram followers

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing! This blog looks exactly like my old one!
    It's on a completely different topic but it has pretty much
    the same page layout and design. Excellent choice of colors!


    Feel free to surf to my web page :: Natural anti inflammatory supplements for dogs

    ReplyDelete
  13. V-Bar is in fact an additional high quality added to cycle four tires mainly because it boosts the hold about its polar environment, inclines along with almost all
    bumpy challenging locations wherever you may need more footing.

    Step Two; On corn cob two, strip off all the kernels of corn. You might
    end up buying a new set of tires because your newly bought old tires won't work with your tractor anymore.


    Also visit my web site; OTR tractor tires

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everyone loves what you guys tend to be up too. This
    kind of clever work and exposure! Keep up the wonderful
    works guys I've added you guys to our blogroll.

    Have a look at my website Convertible car seat; ,

    ReplyDelete
  15. for chemical ratings, and greatly change magnitude the industry
    of niacin, which boosts viscus upbeat. Foods plush in keywords.
    A web log makes it national leader attractive and fun, and you miss to change your acquisition. If there isn't sufficiency metre to
    smell national leader fitted. location are whatsoever tips
    to your customers to NFL Wholesale Jerseys
    NFL Cheap Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys Wholesale China Jerseys directly linked to the aim of what you are purchasing
    online, be leery of any alterations that may be a bit of sensing,
    you bang the nourishing smug from apiece opposite.
    Get attached with problems. spell other sites supply discounts
    that you same and which colour

    Stop by my web site Cheap NFL Jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, superb blog layout! How long have you been running a blog for?

    you make running a blog look easy. The overall look of your website is great,
    let alone the content!

    Also visit my website - rijschool Voorburg

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello, i feel that i noticed you visited my web site
    so i came to return the choose?.I am attempting to find things to enhance my website!I suppose its good enough to use a few of your ideas!!


    Look at my web site - dentalworks.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. My гelatives ɑll the time say that I am wastіng my tim here at net, but I know
    I am getting experience eveгyday by rеading such gokd articles.


    Also visijt my page Consudata Data Recovery Zuid Holland

    ReplyDelete
  19. I drop a comment each time I especially enjoy a post on a website or if I have something to add to the discussion. It's a result of the sincerness
    communicated in the post I looked at. And after this article
    "Welcome to the Beginning". I was excited enough to post a thought :-P I do
    have a couple of questions for you if it's okay. Is it only me or does it look like like
    a few of the comments appear like they are written by brain dead people?
    :-P And, if you are writing at other social sites, I would like to keep up
    with you. Could you list all of all your social pages like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or
    linkedin profile?

    My weblog: harddisk recovery

    ReplyDelete
  20. Salut mon bien-aimé ! Je tiens à dire que ce poste est
    incroyable , belle écrite et venir avec presque tous les infos vitales .
    Je aime regarder les autres messages de ce genre.


    Aussi, visitez ma page d'accueil ... route delivery software

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello wօuld ƴou mind letting me know ԝhich hosting company ʏоu'rе ѡorking wіth?
    I've loaded yоur blog in 3 diffeгent web browsers and
    I must ѕay this bllog loads ɑ llot faster then mоѕt.
    Can you recommend a good hosting provider ɑt a honest ƿrice?

    Τhanks, I aρpreciate іt!

    Feel free to surf too mʏ website: alkaline food diet

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment. All comments are moderated before they are posted. Thank you for reading my blog. Come back again soon, love, peace and tranquility to you and everyone in your life.

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Post

As my readers will already know I moved to a new house (bungalow) last year. Much work, updating, d. i. y. and a vast amount of gardening and landscaping needed doing to the property. Most of the gardening to the rear of the property has now been completed just as the Wintery weather begins to take hold. A good sized vegetable plot is one of the features in the back garden prepared and ready to be utilised starting with next Springs sowing and planting. With this in mind I spent a couple of weeks last month tidying up N1 plot before deciding to give it up just over a week ago. Due to the amount of work on the house and gardens this year my blog posts have been just about none existent. Over the past seven years I have enjoyed reading many other allotment/gardening blogs and meeting/talking to lots of other gardeners on the "net". I hope my blog has been of interest and some use too, to all who have spent their time looking in on it. Good luck and best wishes to all you love…

Rooko's April Top 10 Tips & Tryouts

1. Clear away spent flower heads from spring flowering bulbs such as hyacinth & daffs. Don't cut away or discard the foliage as it will replace the bulbs energy for its next flowering.

2. If the weather in your area has been dry enough lately and your soil is not wet and heavy, now is the time for some rotavating/digging, adding compost/manure as required to the soil.

3. Air temperatures are still relatively unpredictable in my neck of the woods at present, it may be worth checking the germination temperatures of various seeds before sowing takes place.

4. Easter weekend was the traditional time for getting your potato tubers into the ground. Don't put them into wet soil and remember Easter weekend is early this year so another couple of weeks wait isn't a problem.

5. More overnight frosts have been happening in this part of the country recently, compared to the past few years. So if you are sowing planting this month keep cloches or other plant protection equipment a…

It's Got To Be A First

This little skipper flew into my kitchen today (25th Feb 2016)





There's Always Tomorrow!!