Skip to main content

2 Days to a Shorter Winter Month

Although many plants & the soil benefit from cold weather & rain, I will be glad when January & February come to an end this year. The inconsistency of the weather recently does nothing to aid planned outdoor jobs, working the soil, early germination or indeed deciding wether or not to wear a wooly hat.


Before
After 10 Minutes










This week despite heavy rain I have been able to clear my top fruit bed of weeds & turn & hoe it. More mulch was added to my Rhubarb crowns, (which seem to be enjoying the colder weather), after they had been earthed up.
 My 2 year old Pear tree had a couple of branches growing from the rootstock which were removed. The cuttings could be propagated & used for future rootstock, but I do not have room for more fruit trees so the cuttings will come in handy as pea sticks.

Fruit Bed weeded-Rhubarb Mulched

I prepared six large plastic barrels which I am using for sowing Carrot seeds into later. I added compost from my heap to the barrels with a layer of soil on top then added a layer of potting compost onto the soil. If this method of growing Carrots is not a success, the barrels can be emptied later & the contents used to feed the surrounding soil.


Barrels ready for Carrot Sowing

For some time now I have been adding all my discarded paper & cardboard to my compost heap. I noticed when moving the compost yesterday that there was a tremendous increase in the amount of worms within the compost which I attributed to the additional paper & card?



Who Needs a Wormery


Couldn't Find Another Bit of Downpipe
More seeds have been "trayed" & "potted" up today. The ground is too wet for sowing peas, even under cloches, so another 100 Hurst Greenshaft were sown into deep trays as well as 100 Spring Cabbages (Spring Hero). Spring Hero can usually be sown in Spring or Autumn.



Seeds Awaiting the Correct Germinating Temperatures?


Friday afternoon was spent helping one of my fellow plot holders move the remainder of his gardening equipment to his new allotment. It took 4 of us to carry the greenhouse around the allotment road about 500 meters to its new home. This was surprisingly easy, until we reached its final resting place & then realized it had to be lifted up over a row of raspberries and their recently installed 2 meter high supports??? Ever had one of those days?

Never mind there's always tomorrow!!

Comments

  1. seriously impressed by your carrot barrels! Love the before and after sky over lottie pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, I will be adding 2 more barrels as soon as the weather thaws out if the Carrot Fly get in there this year I will use fleece covering at ground level in future.

      Delete

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment. All comments are moderated before they are posted. Thank you for reading my blog. Come back again soon, love, peace and tranquility to you and everyone in your life.

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Post

As my readers will already know I moved to a new house (bungalow) last year. Much work, updating, d. i. y. and a vast amount of gardening and landscaping needed doing to the property. Most of the gardening to the rear of the property has now been completed just as the Wintery weather begins to take hold. A good sized vegetable plot is one of the features in the back garden prepared and ready to be utilised starting with next Springs sowing and planting. With this in mind I spent a couple of weeks last month tidying up N1 plot before deciding to give it up just over a week ago. Due to the amount of work on the house and gardens this year my blog posts have been just about none existent. Over the past seven years I have enjoyed reading many other allotment/gardening blogs and meeting/talking to lots of other gardeners on the "net". I hope my blog has been of interest and some use too, to all who have spent their time looking in on it. Good luck and best wishes to all you love…

Rooko's April Top 10 Tips & Tryouts

1. Clear away spent flower heads from spring flowering bulbs such as hyacinth & daffs. Don't cut away or discard the foliage as it will replace the bulbs energy for its next flowering.

2. If the weather in your area has been dry enough lately and your soil is not wet and heavy, now is the time for some rotavating/digging, adding compost/manure as required to the soil.

3. Air temperatures are still relatively unpredictable in my neck of the woods at present, it may be worth checking the germination temperatures of various seeds before sowing takes place.

4. Easter weekend was the traditional time for getting your potato tubers into the ground. Don't put them into wet soil and remember Easter weekend is early this year so another couple of weeks wait isn't a problem.

5. More overnight frosts have been happening in this part of the country recently, compared to the past few years. So if you are sowing planting this month keep cloches or other plant protection equipment a…

It's Got To Be A First

This little skipper flew into my kitchen today (25th Feb 2016)





There's Always Tomorrow!!