Skip to main content

A Cool Week


No rain for a week, lovely. At the weekend I managed to completely tidy my back garden, clearing away all the dead vegetation & debri after the Winter, hoed all the beds & borders & cleaned my greenhouse. Even the lawn got mowed, (the 1st time it's ever been cut in January). All looks tidy now, giving me time to concentrate on working "down the plot".

Went down the plot all day on Tuesday and prepared 2 more large barrels ready for sowing Carrot seeds into later. I added 50% manure & 50% soil to each barrel. After this was done I cleared the storage area behind my shed, plastic trays, plant pots and other bits & pieces were checked for slugs & snails, cleaned & put back in accessible order. 250 plastic milk bottles were washed out & will be used as cloches for my Sweetcorn & Cucumbers later. The bottles have capacity markings on the side of them, so I figured out that my last years Cucumbers were 2 litres tall when I removed the bottles from over the top of them in April. I don't rinse out the newer empty ones as the smell of sour milk confuses some insects.
The weather was a little chilly but pleasant enough when the sunshine penetrated the clouds.

Rhubarb arriving unforced
Wednesday was a little warmer with some weak sunshine & the slight breeze of late had dropped. The soil is starting to dry out & if raked over, the top couple of inches is drying out rapidly. I spent the morning helping one of my friends who is moving to another plot with a few "lifting & shifting" jobs.
Onion sets & Parsnips protected from cats.
In the afternoon I planted some Onion sets & sowed some Parsnip seeds into last years Brassica bed in keeping with my 4 year crop rotation, although this years potatoes will be planted in my other plot. I potted up, Peas (Hurst Greenshaft), Runner beans (Enorma & Scarlet Emperor), Cucumbers (my own seed) and Tomatoes (Gardeners Delight), & Brussel Sprouts (Evesham). Loaded the trays & pots into my car for moving them to my greenhouse.

Thursday morning was warmish again with some sunshine as I arrived at the plot. It clouded over about half an hour later & the air temperature dropped a little. I planted some daffodil bulbs, (& 2 Blackcurrant bushes I was kindly given by Roger one of the other plot holders).
 I then cleared some dead foliage from my Strawberry plants & transfered 3 of the plants to my other plots' Strawberry bed. I potted up some more peas (100), cleaned out my cold frame and decided to call it a day. I loaded up my car with rubbish & certain things I don't put on the compost heap from the plot & garden. These will be taken to our re-cycling centre in the morning.

Friday the 13th, was a lovely sunny day with bright sunshine after a heavy frost last night. I ventured down to the plot in the early afternoon just to check on the effects of the overnight frost, had a chat with a few of my fellow plot holders then toddled off home.
Derek & Mickey (2 of my fellow plot holders) working hard as usual

There's always tomorrow.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Post

As my readers will already know I moved to a new house (bungalow) last year. Much work, updating, d. i. y. and a vast amount of gardening and landscaping needed doing to the property. Most of the gardening to the rear of the property has now been completed just as the Wintery weather begins to take hold. A good sized vegetable plot is one of the features in the back garden prepared and ready to be utilised starting with next Springs sowing and planting. With this in mind I spent a couple of weeks last month tidying up N1 plot before deciding to give it up just over a week ago. Due to the amount of work on the house and gardens this year my blog posts have been just about none existent. Over the past seven years I have enjoyed reading many other allotment/gardening blogs and meeting/talking to lots of other gardeners on the "net". I hope my blog has been of interest and some use too, to all who have spent their time looking in on it. Good luck and best wishes to all you love…

Rooko's April Top 10 Tips & Tryouts

1. Clear away spent flower heads from spring flowering bulbs such as hyacinth & daffs. Don't cut away or discard the foliage as it will replace the bulbs energy for its next flowering.

2. If the weather in your area has been dry enough lately and your soil is not wet and heavy, now is the time for some rotavating/digging, adding compost/manure as required to the soil.

3. Air temperatures are still relatively unpredictable in my neck of the woods at present, it may be worth checking the germination temperatures of various seeds before sowing takes place.

4. Easter weekend was the traditional time for getting your potato tubers into the ground. Don't put them into wet soil and remember Easter weekend is early this year so another couple of weeks wait isn't a problem.

5. More overnight frosts have been happening in this part of the country recently, compared to the past few years. So if you are sowing planting this month keep cloches or other plant protection equipment a…

It's Got To Be A First

This little skipper flew into my kitchen today (25th Feb 2016)





There's Always Tomorrow!!