One method of defending our beloved plants against attacks by the BBB (BAD BUG BRIGADE) is to reach for those sprayers, fill them with chemicals of varying descriptions & liberally spray everything in sight. Yes everything, including the kitchen sink into which the unused liquid is poured, perhaps, & where the spray containers are washed out, after use??
So what could I, you, us, they, do to lessen the threat to the insects that help us in the garden & down the plot. If you have read thus far, please remember the following, don't just go with the flow!!
- Grow resistant strains of plants.
- Use Organic methods of pest control.
- Aphids & Other insects can be washed off plants with water or rubbed out by hand.
- ALWAYS read the instructions on sprays, chemicals etc.
- Avoid spraying plants that are flowering.
- Spray late in the day but not when it is windy.
- Spray plants that are actually affected by the baddies, not everywhere.
- Grow plants that will attract predators of the insects you are trying to eradicate.
- Attract other wildlife into the garden or onto the plot, such as frogs, toads, hedgehogs, slow worms by providing a suitable habitat for them.
- Finally, when you have time, do some research into which "safe" sprays to use?