Skip to main content

A, F - F - F - F - F Day

A, F - ine, F - rost, F - ree, F - ifth - of - F - ebruary  my condolences to everyone still suffering from the recent frost, ice & snow.

As I ventured down to my allotment this morning, the weak Winter sun was struggling to shine through an overcast sky. The overnight rain had ceased and the recent frost was gone. The sub zero temperatures of late had risen & it was a pleasant February day.

New Blackcurrant Bush
Only 2 of my fellow allotment holders were in attendance when I arrived at my plot. The ground was still damp from the overnight rain but the frost had done its job & broken all of the recently turned soil down well, on the planting beds.  Around the shaded areas of the plot (frost pockets) the soil still contained traces of frost under the surface & the drainage ditch at the lower end of my plot was still frozen over, sheltered from the sun by the hedgerow close by. To my surprise I had one extra Blackcurrant bush growing from a cutting I had "stuck" into the ground last Autumn, which was well in bud.

After opening up my cold frame, containing several trays of peas (Hurst Greenshaft) sown in compost, to "air it out", I trimmed back the dead foliage on my Lemon Balm & Mint. I found several Ladybirds sheltering in the balm. The dead foliage was deposited onto the compost heap, along with the kitchen waste I had brought with me. Then it was time to hoe & weed one of my Strawberry beds. Although I was using a scaffolding board to stand on, to do this, the soil was too wet to work, so I removed a few weeds which I could reach from the path, cleaned some pots & left for home.


Lemon Balm & Mint Cut Back

Of course there's always tomorrow??


Comments

  1. You are lucky to have got away without any snow, we must have had your share. So as you can gather no gardening for me for a while. Most of the tomato seed that I put in last Sunday have come through so at least I have something growing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear your tomato seedlings are through. Hope the snow clears up, I would prefer that, to the heavy frosts here last week, it put my seed germination well back??

      Delete
  2. Your blog is really good! technogetafix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx, by the way compost v. good.

      Delete
  3. Hi Rooko; Just discovered your blog via Elaine... I like what I see.
    Re the title of this post: I thought you were going to say it was an "F-ing Freezing" day! I love your pictures of the frost patterns by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Mark, Elaine has got some nice blogs. I don't really go with swearing, except perhaps when I accidentally step on a garden rake & it jumps up & hits me in the mouth!!

      Delete
  4. I envy you at present my plot is still under a blanket of snow! nice blog BTW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment & joining my blog Stacy. I hope I can make future posts & pages interesting as well as useful. Snow is expected here this afternoon. Temperatures haven't been much above freezing for a couple of weeks now. Strange weather still. +1C here at 8am, 10 miles away it was -2C.Must be frustrating when your plot is covered with snow but the plus side is snow probably causes less harm than frost to plants etc.

      Delete

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment. All comments are moderated before they are posted. Thank you for reading my blog. Come back again soon, love, peace and tranquility to you and everyone in your life.

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Post

As my readers will already know I moved to a new house (bungalow) last year. Much work, updating, d. i. y. and a vast amount of gardening and landscaping needed doing to the property. Most of the gardening to the rear of the property has now been completed just as the Wintery weather begins to take hold. A good sized vegetable plot is one of the features in the back garden prepared and ready to be utilised starting with next Springs sowing and planting. With this in mind I spent a couple of weeks last month tidying up N1 plot before deciding to give it up just over a week ago. Due to the amount of work on the house and gardens this year my blog posts have been just about none existent. Over the past seven years I have enjoyed reading many other allotment/gardening blogs and meeting/talking to lots of other gardeners on the "net". I hope my blog has been of interest and some use too, to all who have spent their time looking in on it. Good luck and best wishes to all you love…

Rooko's April Top 10 Tips & Tryouts

1. Clear away spent flower heads from spring flowering bulbs such as hyacinth & daffs. Don't cut away or discard the foliage as it will replace the bulbs energy for its next flowering.

2. If the weather in your area has been dry enough lately and your soil is not wet and heavy, now is the time for some rotavating/digging, adding compost/manure as required to the soil.

3. Air temperatures are still relatively unpredictable in my neck of the woods at present, it may be worth checking the germination temperatures of various seeds before sowing takes place.

4. Easter weekend was the traditional time for getting your potato tubers into the ground. Don't put them into wet soil and remember Easter weekend is early this year so another couple of weeks wait isn't a problem.

5. More overnight frosts have been happening in this part of the country recently, compared to the past few years. So if you are sowing planting this month keep cloches or other plant protection equipment a…

It's Got To Be A First

This little skipper flew into my kitchen today (25th Feb 2016)





There's Always Tomorrow!!