Skip to main content

Allotmenteering Can Kill You (After a Super Week)

The hot sunny weather has been incredible again this week, allowing me to complete a variety of things down the plot, from seed sowing, to watering due to the lack of rain. It's been a balancing act keeping the seedlings both in the ground & various trays & pots correctly watered. Moving them in & out of sheds & cold frames so they could benefit from direct sunlight & back in again at the end of the day. Monday saw more Runner Beans sown into pots & trays. The last of my cloches were removed from Lettuce on my main plot but kept handy ready to combat any late frosts, which don't look likely, at the moment.

Plant Collars & Sprays Ready in Main Plot Shed


On Monday 1 row of Beetroot & 1 more row of Lettuce were sown in my 2nd plot. This completed the sowing & planting, except for Sweetcorn & Runner Beans, which are still germinating at present. It's just a case now of keeping any weeds down & watering & feeding when required. Due to the dry warm weather weeds are few & far between for a change. I can now concentrate on "filling up" my main plot at leisure, which is what gardening is all about.

Tuesday (another hot sunny day) was spent maintaining my Howard Rotavator. I had managed to obtain a similar model, minus the engine, for spares. I replaced the worn out tines, replaced the throttle cable & 2 or 3 other bits & pieces were replaced & repaired, no easy task on the grass path alongside my shed, especially when you drop a bolt or washer into the grass!! Good thing I had a magnet in my toolbox. By tea time I had stripped the spare machine down & obtained many useful spares.


Rhubarb Over Half a Butt Tall

Wednesday I decided to re-organize my water butts, which were badly sighted around the shed on my main plot. I emptied a large plastic water tank which was behind my shed, of the various items such as plant pots, netting, plastic bottles etc being stored in it, bunged up & sealed several pipe holes in its sides and emptied the water from 2 of my butts into it. After I had reinforced the wooden supports holding 1 of the butts I re-positioned the butt on top of the plastic tank at one end, supported by 2 steel bed frames, placed across the tank. The other 3 butts were placed close to the plastic tank at ground level. I can now use a flexible plastic pipe as an overflow, from the butt which is fed with water from my shed guttering, diverting it to whichever butt or tank that needs replenishing. The other advantage with the plastic tank is that I can "dunk" watering cans straight into it, rather than waiting for them to be filled via the taps on the butts. All I need now is an inverter to operate my submersible pump to supply water into the tank from the drainage ditch nearby. (Next project)??

Water Butts Sorted
My 2nd Plot











On Thursday it was time to have a clear out of all the clutter I had accumulated and not used, which was stored or lying about my plots. By midday I had loaded up my car with enough scrap metal, from old tools to chain link fencing, (and even the famous half-shaft from a milk float), to make a trip to the local scrap yard worthwhile. I was well pleased with over £20 for the lot. Buy more seeds I thought, not this time, I just had to join a queue for some petrol.
 I returned to the plot after lunch and rotavated one of my neighbours plots for her, as she was struggling to dig over her recently obtained, overgrown plot. My Howard made short work of the hard soil, the newly fitted tines worked a treat. I love it when a plan comes together.

 After the rotavating was done I erected the supports for my Runner Beans. It won't be long before the plants are ready to be planted out.
 Time for home well nearly, then came the unplanned bit. As I reversed my car from the plot a nasty scraping noise resounded from underneath it. Stopping the car I jumped out & looked underneath. The half full petrol can I had left behind the car (out of the sun) was jammed under the cars' exhaust, car still running. If the exhaust had been hot I reckon it could have been B-B-Q time. I quickly switched off the ignition and had to jack the car up to extricate the petrol can. Accidents don't just happen, there's always a cause. This one was memory loss?

Angle Shade Moth on 1 of My Pots





Plan of my Main Plot (2012)


There's always tomorrow!! (just). 


  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Post

As my readers will already know I moved to a new house (bungalow) last year. Much work, updating, d. i. y. and a vast amount of gardening and landscaping needed doing to the property. Most of the gardening to the rear of the property has now been completed just as the Wintery weather begins to take hold. A good sized vegetable plot is one of the features in the back garden prepared and ready to be utilised starting with next Springs sowing and planting. With this in mind I spent a couple of weeks last month tidying up N1 plot before deciding to give it up just over a week ago. Due to the amount of work on the house and gardens this year my blog posts have been just about none existent. Over the past seven years I have enjoyed reading many other allotment/gardening blogs and meeting/talking to lots of other gardeners on the "net". I hope my blog has been of interest and some use too, to all who have spent their time looking in on it. Good luck and best wishes to all you love…

Rooko's April Top 10 Tips & Tryouts

1. Clear away spent flower heads from spring flowering bulbs such as hyacinth & daffs. Don't cut away or discard the foliage as it will replace the bulbs energy for its next flowering.

2. If the weather in your area has been dry enough lately and your soil is not wet and heavy, now is the time for some rotavating/digging, adding compost/manure as required to the soil.

3. Air temperatures are still relatively unpredictable in my neck of the woods at present, it may be worth checking the germination temperatures of various seeds before sowing takes place.

4. Easter weekend was the traditional time for getting your potato tubers into the ground. Don't put them into wet soil and remember Easter weekend is early this year so another couple of weeks wait isn't a problem.

5. More overnight frosts have been happening in this part of the country recently, compared to the past few years. So if you are sowing planting this month keep cloches or other plant protection equipment a…

It's Got To Be A First

This little skipper flew into my kitchen today (25th Feb 2016)





There's Always Tomorrow!!