2. When sowing seeds remember the 3 basic rules, don't sow too early, don't sow too deeply and don't sow too thickly.
3. To prevent slugs getting into your pots/containers, smear vaseline onto the outside of the pots/containers.
4. Start thinking about making plant collars before its time to plant out your seedlings.
5.Here's another "organic" spray recipe against insects attacking your plants. Although it is not harmful to your health it will kill beneficial insects as well as the baddies. 10 garlic cloves, 10 small chillies, 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil, 1 litre of water, 1 teaspoon of washing up liquid. Blend, liquidize & strain. Add the liquid to a spray bottle to use.
6. Apart from the fact that the Marigold is a beautiful flower, why plant it in your garden or down the plot?
(a) They will attract Butterflies.
(b) They are a natural repellent of, nematodes & other pests.
(c) They are beneficial to the health of Tomatoes, Potatoes & other vegetables.
(d) Some species of Marigolds can be used medicinally.
7. If you are running out of plant pots/trays remember to recycle old plastic bottles & food containers as cheap alternatives.
8. If you are staking young trees use old tights or bicycle inner tubes, correctly tied to the stake & tree, to avoid damage to the tree bark.
9. This is the time of year to check your garden/allotment over & remove rubbish and other items that slugs & snails can hide under before they come out to attack your seedlings and plants.
10. Check the sharpness of your gardening tools now, well sharpened tools, especially hoes & spades need less effort to use if they are kept sharp.