Skip to main content

The Good The Bad & The Future

I have been deliberating how to construct this post for several days now, due to some of the content being off topic regarding allotmenteering, but nonetheless relevant to it, from my point of view.  This has been an extremely busy time of the year for me (as I know it has been for other gardeners) not only "down the plot" but also personally too with hospital and other medical appointments.. Suffice to say I am glad that I haven't booked a holiday this year, due to the way things are panning out.

Although I have achieved most of the sowing, planting & cultivation on my plots to date, despite the climatic extremes since March, flooding and several compressed vertebrae. After a recent medical test I was informed, (last Thursday), that I have heavy metal blood poisoning from a metal on metal hip replacement I had done several years ago. So it will be out with the old and in with the new very soon. That sounds like the same can be said for dealing with the contaminated manure problem, being experienced on many of our allotment plots here, at the moment. By the time I get back down the plot I expect the weeds will have learned to grow in straight lines, so they will be easier for me to remove??

Well that's the bad out of the way.
                                                                       
1st Batch of Carrots
My 1st Batch of Carrots
Giant Pumpkins Eventually
Giant Pumpkins (Hopefully)


  The good news has been the beautiful weather here for the past few weeks. The germination rate of most seeds I have sown has been phenomenal. In particular Pumpkins, Carrots, Turnips and Lettuce germinating within 5 days to a week. I think that the germination rate has been accelerated by a couple of other factors, than just the hot temperatures. 1. I have not used compost in most of my drills before sowing. The peat free stuff dries out too quickly, (so what do we want to save? water or peat), well you can't drink peat?  2. All watering in of seeds has been done using water from the drainage ditch at the bottom of my main plot. (Extra nutrients)?

Gooseberries Ripening
A Few Gooseberries

French Beans
French Beans (Germinated in 5 Days)

Blackcurrants Ripening
Blackcurrants Ripening

Runner Beans
Runner Beans (Scarlet Emperor & Enorma) On 2nd Plot


6 Tomato Plants (Planted Out Yesterday)

Cayenne Peppers
Cayenne Peppers Planted Out Yesterday On 2nd Plot

Sweetcorn (Lark F1) on 2nd Plot with Cucumbers Evesham 76
Oca Plants
Oca Plants (Looking Iffy)
Have a Pint
Full Can of Slug Trap Liquid (Out of Date) Holding Down Strawberry Netting
Mixed Veg
L to R Onions Spring Onions Parsnips (and Turnips Going to Seed)
Bird Scarer ??

  Compared with last year, a real bonus, is the lack of insect pests. White fly, Black fly, Green fly, Slugs & Snails seem to be none existent at the moment. The only damage to my crops so far has been from Wood Pigeons (to Brassicas) Flea beetles (to Turnips) and from several Blackbirds disrupting certain mulched/seeded areas of ground, they are currently eyeing up the Strawberries & Blackcurrants, which are just starting to ripen, for their breakfasts. I am pleased to say most of my crops are looking in good condition and the watering routines during the warm evenings has been a pleasure recently.



As for the future there will be tomorrow. 

  

Comments

  1. Sorry to hear your bad news Rooko - getting old is a pain in the neck - or should I say hip! Hope everything goes alright for you - at least you have the plot looking shipshape. Will you be able to look after it after your operation - if I was a few hundred miles nearer I would have come to help out. Good luck and don't let it get you down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words Elaine. I reckon I can manage the plots after the op. Walking sticks make good dibbers anyway. I just look old due to weathering down the plot?? lol

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about your hip - I hope the good old NHS gets you sorted out soon and you have some buddies to plot-watch while you're out of action. Your plots are looking really good - lots of growth and you've already harvested carrots! Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your good wishes Belinda. One or two of my friends down the allotments have said they will keep an eye on things while I'm having a rest. The Carrots were under cloches over the Winter. Some of them were a bit "woody" but most were really sweet even the large ones. Pity I won't be able to get some Winter veg in this year though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment. All comments are moderated before they are posted. Thank you for reading my blog. Come back again soon, love, peace and tranquility to you and everyone in your life.

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Post

As my readers will already know I moved to a new house (bungalow) last year. Much work, updating, d. i. y. and a vast amount of gardening and landscaping needed doing to the property. Most of the gardening to the rear of the property has now been completed just as the Wintery weather begins to take hold. A good sized vegetable plot is one of the features in the back garden prepared and ready to be utilised starting with next Springs sowing and planting. With this in mind I spent a couple of weeks last month tidying up N1 plot before deciding to give it up just over a week ago. Due to the amount of work on the house and gardens this year my blog posts have been just about none existent. Over the past seven years I have enjoyed reading many other allotment/gardening blogs and meeting/talking to lots of other gardeners on the "net". I hope my blog has been of interest and some use too, to all who have spent their time looking in on it. Good luck and best wishes to all you love…

Rooko's April Top 10 Tips & Tryouts

1. Clear away spent flower heads from spring flowering bulbs such as hyacinth & daffs. Don't cut away or discard the foliage as it will replace the bulbs energy for its next flowering.

2. If the weather in your area has been dry enough lately and your soil is not wet and heavy, now is the time for some rotavating/digging, adding compost/manure as required to the soil.

3. Air temperatures are still relatively unpredictable in my neck of the woods at present, it may be worth checking the germination temperatures of various seeds before sowing takes place.

4. Easter weekend was the traditional time for getting your potato tubers into the ground. Don't put them into wet soil and remember Easter weekend is early this year so another couple of weeks wait isn't a problem.

5. More overnight frosts have been happening in this part of the country recently, compared to the past few years. So if you are sowing planting this month keep cloches or other plant protection equipment a…

It's Got To Be A First

This little skipper flew into my kitchen today (25th Feb 2016)





There's Always Tomorrow!!