2. Try planting beans alongside Sunflowers. The beans will benefit from the pollinators attracted by the Sunflowers.
3. If your Rhubarb has started to flower cut off the flower stalk immediately as allowing it to grow will weaken the plant.
4. A good method of weed control around your fruit trees is to plant strawberries.
5. Try planting Lemon Balm and Mint in pots. These can then be strategically placed and/or moved around the garden or plot to deter many insect pests.
6. Clubroot (a fungal disease) is generally associated with cabbages & other crucifers. 2 examples of plants outside this group that can also be affected are, Ryegrass & Red Clover.
7. Make a simple bird-scarer for your plot or garden. Take 1 medium sized potato 3 birds feathers ( each approximately 6 inches long & as straight as possible) Push 1 feather into one end of the potato (about 1 inch) and push the other 2 into the potato, approximately half way along its length, on each side, keeping all the feathers pointing out straight. Attach a piece of string through the potato and hang from the end of a long stick or cane pushed into the ground. The profile should look similar to a bird of prey, thus keeping other birds away. (Not guaranteed, but it does work)
8. Several plants that prefer an alkaline soil are: Cabbage, Celery, Cucumber, Geranium, Olive, Pinks, Thyme.
9. If you have a few empty spaces in your garden flower beds try planting a few vegetables such as Lettuce or Radish in amongst the flowers.
10. This one is a link to free pergola plans (a guide for beginners) CLICK HERE