2. During the U.K.'s continuing wet June weather, ensure that your ripening Strawberries are kept off damp soil. Placing straw underneath the fruits will help to protect them from damp and mould.
3. One reason for Nitrogen deficiency in plants is a high Carbon content in the soil. This causes the organisms in the soil, to use up Nitrogen whilst breaking down the Carbon content.
4. Many essential oils extracted from various plants have many uses, but be warned, their use in high concentrations can be dangerous.
5. When thinning Lettuce they should be thinned according to variety. For example, Leaf Lettuce 4 to 6 inches (10 to 15cm), Head Lettuce 10 to 12 inches (25 to 30cm).
6. Add Perlite to your potting compost and mix together for use in hanging baskets and/or planters. Perlite will absorb water & release it when the compost dries.
7. If the weather is wet in your neck of the woods and you can't venture out into the garden or down to the plot, why not take some time out to clean or repair your gardening tools or overhaul the lawnmower, strimmer etc. Some oil on your shed padlock will keep it from seizing up?
8. If you have any seed heads appearing on your Onions, break them off as soon as possible. Throw them in amongst any Carrots you are growing as a defense against Carrot flies.
9. Not to every ones taste. (For Adults only) Heat some Strawberries in a frying pan adding a little sugar, add a little fruit liqueur allowing it to boil off. Serve with ice cream.
10. When all the jobs are done the gardener will invent a new one? (Unknown Author).
|Strawberries for Tea Yesterday (Despite the Rain)|