Skip to main content

Now Its Freezing

June 26th was my last blog post, during the few breaks in the weather since then, my visits to the plot have been a mixture of fruit and veg picking, hoeing, weeding and repeated grass cutting around the plot. The fruit and veg which hasn't already been eaten has been frozen for future use. The huge amount of time spent picking, shelling, cleaning and preparing the produce, (and still doing some decorating in between), is and will be time well spent. I picked 15lbs of peas (2nd pick) and 8lbs of Gooseberries (1st pick) on Friday, along with another 2lbs of Strawberries. The Rhubarb just keeps coming. The only challenge with Rhubarb is manuring and protecting it during the Winter months. Rhubarb generally appreciates a fair amount of water to grow well, so it should be good this year.
More Stormy Skies (Last Week)

A High Water Table?? (Or Not)

 Most of my Strawberry plants have now exhausted their bounty of fruit. Despite the wet weather approximately 1 and a half lbs of fruit per day has been produced since early June. My Potato plants seem to be looking good so far although the "earlies" seem a bit slow growing. I planted a couple of rows of "supermarket specials", earlier this year in between my "earlies" and "maincrops", so I didn't expect much of a harvest from them. I dug up a couple of the plants on Friday, unearthing enough small and medium sized potatoes for one meal. Their taste and quality was good, which bodes well for the "earlies" and "maincrop". The old tip of only sowing good quality tubers holds true. From the Turnips which were sown earlier this year I have used a couple of dozen good specimens with the rest running to seed. This is not unexpected due to the current weather conditions. My back up of Swedes have just been thinned out last week and look to be coming along o.k. Lettuce (4 varieties) is in abundance, adding great flavour to my salads. Again my Tomatoes and Cucumbers (outside) are slow in developing except for a couple of Tomato plants which are in well sheltered positions. Runner and French beans are also struggling due to lack of warmth and sunlight. After a brief warm, sunny spell last weekend most plants started to flourish, but the torrential rain and wind is back, so we will see what they look like by next week. My Blackcurrants are in abundance but not quite ripe enough yet for picking. The Red & White currants are ready for picking but this year have been well devoured by birds, so it looks like the addition of fruit cages is called for next year.

My Brassicas, Carrots and Leeks are continuing to do well this year along with Spring onions and Parsnips. I intended to lift the first of my first batch of Onions on Friday but rain stopped play before I could. I have my suspicions that Onions will be difficult to store, long term, this year after all the water they have had to ingest. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has successfully stored Onions, after such a wet growing season, in the past.

DON'T WASTE IT FREEZE IT
(go to my freezing guide link on the right)

Currants & Raspberries (Open Freezing)

8lbs of Gooseberries
Peas & Gooseberries (Open Freezing)
Carrots frozen
 
Cabbage Frozen
Frozen Peas
Lots of Frozen Rhubarb
Strawberries Frozen
Mixed Fruit Frozen
Gooseberries Frozen

 

Comments

  1. Wow - that is quite a freezing bonanza - just how big is your freezer exactly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elaine, thanks for "looking in". The freezer is about 13cu ft I think?

      Delete
  2. great harvest Rooko. You'll get to enjoy a taste of 'summer' in winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Julieanne, I'm hoping to have enough frozen veg to last until next spring. You know what shop/supermarket prices are like?

      Delete

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment. All comments are moderated before they are posted. Thank you for reading my blog. Come back again soon, love, peace and tranquility to you and everyone in your life.

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Post

As my readers will already know I moved to a new house (bungalow) last year. Much work, updating, d. i. y. and a vast amount of gardening and landscaping needed doing to the property. Most of the gardening to the rear of the property has now been completed just as the Wintery weather begins to take hold. A good sized vegetable plot is one of the features in the back garden prepared and ready to be utilised starting with next Springs sowing and planting. With this in mind I spent a couple of weeks last month tidying up N1 plot before deciding to give it up just over a week ago. Due to the amount of work on the house and gardens this year my blog posts have been just about none existent. Over the past seven years I have enjoyed reading many other allotment/gardening blogs and meeting/talking to lots of other gardeners on the "net". I hope my blog has been of interest and some use too, to all who have spent their time looking in on it. Good luck and best wishes to all you love…

Rooko's April Top 10 Tips & Tryouts

1. Clear away spent flower heads from spring flowering bulbs such as hyacinth & daffs. Don't cut away or discard the foliage as it will replace the bulbs energy for its next flowering.

2. If the weather in your area has been dry enough lately and your soil is not wet and heavy, now is the time for some rotavating/digging, adding compost/manure as required to the soil.

3. Air temperatures are still relatively unpredictable in my neck of the woods at present, it may be worth checking the germination temperatures of various seeds before sowing takes place.

4. Easter weekend was the traditional time for getting your potato tubers into the ground. Don't put them into wet soil and remember Easter weekend is early this year so another couple of weeks wait isn't a problem.

5. More overnight frosts have been happening in this part of the country recently, compared to the past few years. So if you are sowing planting this month keep cloches or other plant protection equipment a…

It's Got To Be A First

This little skipper flew into my kitchen today (25th Feb 2016)





There's Always Tomorrow!!