2. Sowing any/some of the following for overwintering in milder climates can be done in October. (Broadbeans, Round seeded Peas, Carrots, Winter greens, Onions). Some cloche protection may be required. Planting of Spring flowering bulbs can also be done in October.
3. Planting fruit trees/bushes should be done at this time of the year. Add plenty of organic material to the planting area prior to planting.
4. If you are harvesting your Cabbages for storage, check them for slugs hiding in the leaves. Rinsing the Cabbages with salt water should remove any slugs but ensure the Cabbages are dry before storing them in a cool place.
5. Rhubarb can be lifted and divided in October keeping root damage down to a minimum.
6. Remove yellowing/diseased leaves from Brussels Sprouts and check the heads of the plants for any caterpillars lurking within the younger leaves.
7. Have your Beans stopp…