Skip to main content

I Must Be Out Of My Tree

A good productive 5 days, during the past week, down the plot, has seen a few changes to things, apart from the persistent rain, hail and heavy showers that is. Monday and Tuesday of last week were none starters due to more rain. I got down to the plot on Wednesday to find out that the plot next to my main plot had become vacant, after the previous tenants Cecil and Mandy had given it up. A shame really as we got along fine together whilst working on our plots. I had been waiting to swop my 2nd plot for this one, which Cecil and I had agreed to some time ago. The plot had become overgrown this year and I think the bad weather had caused Cecil and Mandy to give up on it, which has been the case  for quite a few other plot holders, this year, too. My first job on Wednesday was to start digging over the first of the vegetable beds, removing weeds, grass and in particular the first batches of  Dandelion and Buttercup plants, which were infesting most of the plot. Rotavating was out of the question, due to the wet ground and with the vast amount of Dandelions being well established, chopping the roots up wasn't an option either.

New Allotment Plot
My New Allotment Plot (How It Looked Last Wednesday)
By Saturday evening I had cleared the first 2 beds of weeds, given a cursory mowing to the surrounding grass areas, cleared 2 large Rhubarb plants of dead foliage and weeds and transferred various items of gardening equipment from my old 2nd plot to N2 Plot. The 4 days work was slow and laborious due to the wetness of the soil and having to dodge rain showers, every 15 minutes, particularly on Thursday afternoon, with 1 shower of hailstones to boot. I used walking boards, underfoot, to avoid compacting the clay soil any more than necessary.
New Plot Lower End
Lower End Of New Plot Overgrown With Buttercups/Grass
 Sundays weather was a complete contrast to the rest of the week, with sunshine all day. I didn't make it to the plot though, due to family birthday celebrations down in Devon, another county suffering with plenty of rainfall this year.
Rhubarb and Chives
Rhubarb And Chives Weeded Saturday Top Of New Plot


New Vegetable Beds Ready
First 2 Beds Dug And Weeded By Saturday
 I started work down the plot early this morning with more digging and weed removal. The sun made an appearance for about an hour, a little after midday. Just as the soil began to dry out slightly, back came the rain showers. After the third heavy downpour I gave up with the digging, having completed about 5 x 20 foot of ground, spending the rest of the afternoon transferring more equipment from my old 2nd plot. I picked 2 Sweetcorn cobs and cut a large Lettuce for tea, along with 2 Pumpkins, (for Halloween), before calling it a day. As I am writing this post the rain is hammering down yet again, but the next 2 days are supposed to be dry here. Hopefully I will be able to forge on with more digging etc tomorrow and hopefully for the rest of the week.

New Plot Central Bed Progress
Progress On Central Bed Monday 15th October




Comments

  1. Just testing to see if Blogger will let me leave a comment yet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Blogger seems to have accepted my comment! Hooray.
    Anyway, Hi Rooko; you seem to have had a pretty tough week, thanks to the weather. How's the backache? (From all that digging). People are going to have to develop new ways of crop-production if our weather is going to be like this year's as a matter of course. Have you considered Watercress? Maybe plots with sliding roofs like Wimbledon's Centre Court will come into fashion...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark, yes your comment finally got through this time. The backache is murderous but the painkillers for osteo-arthritis help out. I have a feeling your right about new methods of crop production. I still think that this wet weather is an adjustment (localised climate change if you like in uk) before we end up sub-tropical in the not too distant future. I've avoided Watercress growing in the past but it might be viable now.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hello Steve, The main body of the plot will be used for Sweetcorn, Potatoes and Runner beans next year. My other plot will remain in its 4 year rotation until after the Potatoes are harvested when I will go to a 5 year rotation over 2 plots. I haven't worked out the finer details yet for other veg/fruit as the planting areas on the new plot need re-sizing. Looking at the huge amount of slugs and their eggs in the soil as I dig, Potatoes might be badly affected next year. There are virtually none on my other plot to date.

      Delete
  4. You are definitely a devil for punishment - taking on a new plot - I should think you will be able to supply the whole neighbourhood with veg at this rate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's up to all, it's actually а fastіdious for me to ѵisit this ѕite, it includes
    valuablе Infoгmatіon.
    Also see my webpage: truck brokers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment. All comments are moderated before they are posted. Thank you for reading my blog. Come back again soon, love, peace and tranquility to you and everyone in your life.

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Post

As my readers will already know I moved to a new house (bungalow) last year. Much work, updating, d. i. y. and a vast amount of gardening and landscaping needed doing to the property. Most of the gardening to the rear of the property has now been completed just as the Wintery weather begins to take hold. A good sized vegetable plot is one of the features in the back garden prepared and ready to be utilised starting with next Springs sowing and planting. With this in mind I spent a couple of weeks last month tidying up N1 plot before deciding to give it up just over a week ago. Due to the amount of work on the house and gardens this year my blog posts have been just about none existent. Over the past seven years I have enjoyed reading many other allotment/gardening blogs and meeting/talking to lots of other gardeners on the "net". I hope my blog has been of interest and some use too, to all who have spent their time looking in on it. Good luck and best wishes to all you love…

Rooko's April Top 10 Tips & Tryouts

1. Clear away spent flower heads from spring flowering bulbs such as hyacinth & daffs. Don't cut away or discard the foliage as it will replace the bulbs energy for its next flowering.

2. If the weather in your area has been dry enough lately and your soil is not wet and heavy, now is the time for some rotavating/digging, adding compost/manure as required to the soil.

3. Air temperatures are still relatively unpredictable in my neck of the woods at present, it may be worth checking the germination temperatures of various seeds before sowing takes place.

4. Easter weekend was the traditional time for getting your potato tubers into the ground. Don't put them into wet soil and remember Easter weekend is early this year so another couple of weeks wait isn't a problem.

5. More overnight frosts have been happening in this part of the country recently, compared to the past few years. So if you are sowing planting this month keep cloches or other plant protection equipment a…

It's Got To Be A First

This little skipper flew into my kitchen today (25th Feb 2016)





There's Always Tomorrow!!