Skip to main content

Still Digging

First of all many thanks to everyone who has looked in on my blog in the past week. Not enough hours in each day over the past week, but I've been busy waging war against the Dandelions growing in my central bed on my new plot. This bed is the largest in area, equivalent to approximately a half plot in its own right. Up until Friday the clay soil was still wet and sticky, which meant that every fork full of soil turned had to be picked up by hand to remove hoards of Dandelions, roots and all. Generally the weather has been quite pleasant with a few sunny spells. Saturday and Sunday was breezy and reasonably warm and the soil was beginning to dry out as I continued digging the bed and removing weeds and any large stones I came across. The drying soil was breaking up better than earlier in the week which made the digging easier, good news, especially after putting in about 6 hours digging per day since last Monday. 

Not much else of interest (if digging can be considered interesting). I have harvested 2 lots of Runner beans several Lettuces, Cucumbers and the last of my Sweetcorn during the past week. I also harvested the first of my Leeks on Saturday which made a superb Leek and Potato soup for the weekend.

The annoying drizzly Autumn rain returned today so the Dandelion war was called off in favour of some D.I.Y.

My apologies for the lack of content and photographs within this post, hopefully the next post will be more interesting.

For all of you who have gardening jobs to do and haven't got round to it yet the following is just for you.

A round Tuit
             This is a Round Tuit Just for You



Comments

  1. Six hours digging a day - are you mad! It has been far too wet and drippy to do anything in the garden - I am practically hibernating at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elaine, If its not actually raining, most of the time I start work down the plot about 9 or 10 am until 5 or 6 pm. I need to get this new plot into shape before the beginning of December due to the possibility of having my hip re-done, because of the heavy metal poisoning. I will be out of action for a while, after that, hence the frantic effort to get the digging done. Too wet yesterday and Monday to visit the plot though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done with all that digging! Amazing to hear what you're still harvesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Belinda, no digging Monday & Tuesday due to rain, Wednesday & Thursday was dry and today, so got more digging in. The digging isn't too bad, removing the Dandelion roots by hand is the real nuisance. Harvested my first Brussels today, along with the last punnet of Raspberries and 3 small Cucumbers.

      Delete

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment. All comments are moderated before they are posted. Thank you for reading my blog. Come back again soon, love, peace and tranquility to you and everyone in your life.

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Post

As my readers will already know I moved to a new house (bungalow) last year. Much work, updating, d. i. y. and a vast amount of gardening and landscaping needed doing to the property. Most of the gardening to the rear of the property has now been completed just as the Wintery weather begins to take hold. A good sized vegetable plot is one of the features in the back garden prepared and ready to be utilised starting with next Springs sowing and planting. With this in mind I spent a couple of weeks last month tidying up N1 plot before deciding to give it up just over a week ago. Due to the amount of work on the house and gardens this year my blog posts have been just about none existent. Over the past seven years I have enjoyed reading many other allotment/gardening blogs and meeting/talking to lots of other gardeners on the "net". I hope my blog has been of interest and some use too, to all who have spent their time looking in on it. Good luck and best wishes to all you love…

Rooko's April Top 10 Tips & Tryouts

1. Clear away spent flower heads from spring flowering bulbs such as hyacinth & daffs. Don't cut away or discard the foliage as it will replace the bulbs energy for its next flowering.

2. If the weather in your area has been dry enough lately and your soil is not wet and heavy, now is the time for some rotavating/digging, adding compost/manure as required to the soil.

3. Air temperatures are still relatively unpredictable in my neck of the woods at present, it may be worth checking the germination temperatures of various seeds before sowing takes place.

4. Easter weekend was the traditional time for getting your potato tubers into the ground. Don't put them into wet soil and remember Easter weekend is early this year so another couple of weeks wait isn't a problem.

5. More overnight frosts have been happening in this part of the country recently, compared to the past few years. So if you are sowing planting this month keep cloches or other plant protection equipment a…

It's Got To Be A First

This little skipper flew into my kitchen today (25th Feb 2016)





There's Always Tomorrow!!