Skip to main content

Ceasefire (But Still Digging Part 5)!!


Evening Sky
Saturday Evenings Sky Over the Plot
 The battle against the Dandelions on the central bed of my new plot was put on hold last week, mainly due to 2 factors. The first being misty damp weather making the soil just a bit too sticky to work with, using a garden fork or spade. The second reason was that my main plot was being neglected in favour of the new plot, over the last four weeks. Having "Hamassed" approximately 140 hours digging over the new plot recently I decided it "Israelly" time to finish preparing my main plot for next year, before the Winter weather takes a turn for the worse, so a standoff was implemented and the ground forces moved to the main plot.

Next Years Brassica Bed
Next Years Brassica Bed Dug and Weeded 6 Barrow Loads of Compost Added
 Last Tuesday was spent digging over this years roots bed, removing 2 part rows of unusable carrots and a few annual weeds. The soil over most of my main plot is far more "workable" than that of my new plot, despite the overnight foggy and misty weather of late. Having completed this bed I then cleared out my old compost bin, depositing 6 barrow loads of well rotted compost onto the recently dug bed to be used for next years Brassicas, keeping the compost away from the Senshyu Onions growing along the top edge of the bed.

Compost Bin Emptied
Old Compost Bin Almost Empty
New Compost Bin
New Compost Bin Full Already
Roots Bed Ready for Next Year
This Years Roots Bed Weeded and Dug Leaving Leeks in Situ
 With 3 out of 4 of my beds now ready for next season, on Wednesday I decided to turn over the soil on the L-shaped bed at the lower end of my plot. The 3 Rhubarb plants growing in this bed were manured and earthed up first. Working down the slope I turned the soil, down to a depth of 1 spit, removing weeds, fallen leaves, from the nearby trees, and any other unwanted debris as I progressed. By Wednesday evening I had reached the lower end of the slope with the "foot" of the L-shape to be completed. On Thursday digging along the bed continued at a slower pace, as I needed to remove lots of roots left behind from the 4 Goji Trees I removed from this area, earlier this year. My main Blackberry plant, protected by 2 car tyres, was secured to a nearby fencing panel and 3 other, badly situated, Blackberry plants were moved and re-planted in front of the same fence panel.
Side of L-shape Bed Dug and Weeded

L-shaped Bed Digging in Progress
Base of L-shape Almost Finished
Blackberry Plant
Blackberry Plant Protected by Tyres
Raspberry Canes Pruned
Raspberry Canes Pruned Back (This Bed Still To Be Weeded)

Blackcurrant Bed Still To Be Weeded and Bushes Pruned (Bushes Are Well in Bud Already)
     It was a misty damp day on Friday with extremely heavy rain on Friday evening, my next visit to the plot was on Saturday afternoon. The beds were too damp for any digging, so a few tidying up jobs were done and I pruned back the Raspberry canes on my main plot, moved a couple frogs, which were hibernating amongst the mulch around the Raspberry plants, taking them to the sanctuary of the drainage ditch at the bottom of my plot and consigned the Raspberry canes to the new compost heap/bin minus any frogs.
Strawberry Bed
Strawberry/Gooseberry Bed Remains Weed Free
  On Sunday I carried on with the digging from where I left off on Thursday, removing more Goji roots and annual weeds. Todays' weather was damp and overcast with a few showers, but not serious enough to stop the digging process. Hopefully the L-shape will be finished by tomorrow evening, although the rain is back again at the moment.
Brussels Sprouts
Brussels for Christmas (This years Brassica Bed to Be Tidied Up After The Brussels Are Picked)
Spring Cabbages
Spring Cabbages for Transplanting Later On

Comments

  1. Coo! You've done such a lot! Your L-shaped patch looks like it's been hoovered, not just tidied.
    It's just too awful out there today for us to venture out - misty, soaking wet and windy - really uninviting. As your calendar says 'there's always tomorrow' :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments Belinda. My plots look totally different today. I spent 10 minutes down there this morning in the rain. My new plot is flooded at its lower end. A few cloches which were pegged down were blown across the beds, and several Brussels plants had been blown over by the recent high winds, with 70 mph winds forecast again tonight. I know that much of the country is suffering with bad weather but we are really taking a hammering here. 80 flood warnings in force at the moment. Sadly one person has been killed near here when his 4 x 4 was swept into a stream. Its rained almost none stop since my last post, last Monday, and its torrential again now. Seems that most of the news reporters are staying north of the river Avon??

      Delete

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment. All comments are moderated before they are posted. Thank you for reading my blog. Come back again soon, love, peace and tranquility to you and everyone in your life.

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Post

As my readers will already know I moved to a new house (bungalow) last year. Much work, updating, d. i. y. and a vast amount of gardening and landscaping needed doing to the property. Most of the gardening to the rear of the property has now been completed just as the Wintery weather begins to take hold. A good sized vegetable plot is one of the features in the back garden prepared and ready to be utilised starting with next Springs sowing and planting. With this in mind I spent a couple of weeks last month tidying up N1 plot before deciding to give it up just over a week ago. Due to the amount of work on the house and gardens this year my blog posts have been just about none existent. Over the past seven years I have enjoyed reading many other allotment/gardening blogs and meeting/talking to lots of other gardeners on the "net". I hope my blog has been of interest and some use too, to all who have spent their time looking in on it. Good luck and best wishes to all you love…

Rooko's April Top 10 Tips & Tryouts

1. Clear away spent flower heads from spring flowering bulbs such as hyacinth & daffs. Don't cut away or discard the foliage as it will replace the bulbs energy for its next flowering.

2. If the weather in your area has been dry enough lately and your soil is not wet and heavy, now is the time for some rotavating/digging, adding compost/manure as required to the soil.

3. Air temperatures are still relatively unpredictable in my neck of the woods at present, it may be worth checking the germination temperatures of various seeds before sowing takes place.

4. Easter weekend was the traditional time for getting your potato tubers into the ground. Don't put them into wet soil and remember Easter weekend is early this year so another couple of weeks wait isn't a problem.

5. More overnight frosts have been happening in this part of the country recently, compared to the past few years. So if you are sowing planting this month keep cloches or other plant protection equipment a…

It's Got To Be A First

This little skipper flew into my kitchen today (25th Feb 2016)





There's Always Tomorrow!!