Skip to main content

Pirate, Cricketer or Lion Tamer
Still Digging (Part 4)

Anyone who has compiled their own C.V. will know that 2 of the "required fields" on a C.V. are, qualifications and experiences. It's also quite a common phenomenon that when you are carrying out continual repeated tasks, such as digging, that your mind ponders over other subjects at the same time. It's been slow progress again this week down the plot, only turning over another 4 feet of ground to remove the weeds from the central bed on plot N2. As I progress down the slightly sloping ground more and more of the Dandelion roots are reaching down into the sub-soil levels. There have been 3 or 4 pleasant dry days since last Monday but with overnight and evening rain, torrential again last night, the soil has been too wet and sticky to achieve much consistent digging. This brings me back to my opening comment about C.V.'s. Having to dig down well over 2 spits to remove many of the roots embedded in the sub-soils, I was thinking about how Pirates felt when they were burying their treasure on some uncharted island or elsewhere. How was their backache? (First qualification done). Cricketers? Well that's an easy one this year, spending most of their time in the pavilion, (shed), in my case, due to rain stopping play. (Second qualification done). Lion Tamer (Third qualification done). Dande Lions that is, the real Lions are too dangerous to mess about with. 

Now on with the more serious stuff. Yesterday I set about removing the remaining French Climbing beans, Borlotties and late Pea plants from the legumes bed on my main plot. I picked a container full of beans, to be used for next years seeds, but due to their dampness I don't hold out much hope for their survival. The variety of garden canes used for supports, along with the pea sticks were cleaned and stored away in my shed, until they are needed again. The weaker/decaying canes and sticks were broken up and consigned to the compost heap. By yesterday evening, I had forked over this bed, (the soil is lighter and more workable than N2 plot), except for a couple of feet at the top end, where 3 rows of Senshyu Onions are currently growing well. My next job with this bed will be to add some compost to it, before it is used for next years Brassicas. Although the grass areas of the plots are wet and not likely to completely dry out without a prolonged dry spell of weather, I decided to mow them. My mower has just been serviced and the blades sharpened which was just as well. Cutting wet grass is not generally a good idea. On the up side, the grass cuttings will make good compost/mulch.

As I have mentioned in some of my previous posts, when the wet weather has prevented me from visiting the plots this year I have been decorating and doing some D.I.Y.
 I thought it was time this week to start doing some planning for next years sowing and planting. The following diagram of my new N2 plot, (not to scale), is a rough outline of next years crops, what goes where? Once the weeds and Dandelions have been removed that is.

My New Plot
My New Plot (N2) Situated Alongside My Main Plot (N1) The Central Bed is Currently Being Cleared of Dandelions
                                                                                                                  

Comments

  1. Having "gardener" on your CV has to be a plus point. Gardeners are resilient, innovative people, not downhearted by adverse conditions and always ready for a new challenge. In other words, ideal employees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a plus point. I think all gardeners in UK this year have had to be extra resilient, considering the weather.

      Delete
  2. You put me to shame with all your hard work my garden soil is just too wet to work on so I am leaving well alone and will start again in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you for leaving things until next Spring with everything still being so wet and damp. I have to get my new plot into shape as quickly as possible before my next hip op is due.

      Delete

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment. All comments are moderated before they are posted. Thank you for reading my blog. Come back again soon, love, peace and tranquility to you and everyone in your life.

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Post

As my readers will already know I moved to a new house (bungalow) last year. Much work, updating, d. i. y. and a vast amount of gardening and landscaping needed doing to the property. Most of the gardening to the rear of the property has now been completed just as the Wintery weather begins to take hold. A good sized vegetable plot is one of the features in the back garden prepared and ready to be utilised starting with next Springs sowing and planting. With this in mind I spent a couple of weeks last month tidying up N1 plot before deciding to give it up just over a week ago. Due to the amount of work on the house and gardens this year my blog posts have been just about none existent. Over the past seven years I have enjoyed reading many other allotment/gardening blogs and meeting/talking to lots of other gardeners on the "net". I hope my blog has been of interest and some use too, to all who have spent their time looking in on it. Good luck and best wishes to all you love…

Rooko's April Top 10 Tips & Tryouts

1. Clear away spent flower heads from spring flowering bulbs such as hyacinth & daffs. Don't cut away or discard the foliage as it will replace the bulbs energy for its next flowering.

2. If the weather in your area has been dry enough lately and your soil is not wet and heavy, now is the time for some rotavating/digging, adding compost/manure as required to the soil.

3. Air temperatures are still relatively unpredictable in my neck of the woods at present, it may be worth checking the germination temperatures of various seeds before sowing takes place.

4. Easter weekend was the traditional time for getting your potato tubers into the ground. Don't put them into wet soil and remember Easter weekend is early this year so another couple of weeks wait isn't a problem.

5. More overnight frosts have been happening in this part of the country recently, compared to the past few years. So if you are sowing planting this month keep cloches or other plant protection equipment a…

It's Got To Be A First

This little skipper flew into my kitchen today (25th Feb 2016)





There's Always Tomorrow!!