Skip to main content

Still Digging (Not)!! (Part 3)

O.K. so the post title is still boring, well so was this past week in the main, for me anyway. With only 2 and a half days spent down the plot since the beginning of last week, thanks to the rainy weather, particularly over the weekend. At least there's been no snow in this area, as there has been in many surrounding areas with 3 inches (8cm) in some places yesterday. By mid-week the soil was still unworkable so I decided to do a little maintenance on some garden furniture which had been standing neglected on my new plot for quite some time.

Garden Chair
One of the Chairs Before Re-furbishing It

  I brushed off the dirt, mould, spiders, snails and various other grime and left the 2 chairs and bench inside my shed to dry out. By Thursday afternoon the furniture was dry and after a couple of hours cleaning and rubbing the wood down it was ready to be treated with waterproof wood preserver (dark mahogany in colour). The finished articles now looks almost as good as new, hopefully the preservative will do what it says on the tin.   I managed to get a little weeding done on my main plot on Thursday around the Senshyu Onions, mainly carrying out the work from the grass paths, thus avoiding walking on the saturated soil. I ventured down the plot again on Friday afternoon but with more rain overnight the only other work I got done was to move the compost from an old, well decomposed compost heap, situated at the lower end of my new plot. The compost was forked into my wheelbarrow where various items such as old plant pots, bits of netting and large stones were removed. I then tipped several barrow loads of the compost onto my Autumn fruiting Raspberry bed before leveling it off with a rake, around the previously pruned Raspberry canes. Having achieved a depth of approximately 6 inches (15cm) with the compost, across the bed, I think this will feed the plants for some time to come.

Garden Seats Re-furbished
Garden (Plot) Furniture Before (Left) and After Re-furbishing
With more rain over the weekend, visiting the plot was again out of the question. Today a clear blue sky lasted all day, along with the sunshine and a cold breeze. Hopefully the ground will have dried out sufficiently by tomorrow, so that I can resume the battle against the Dandelions.




Comments

  1. Thanks Julieanne, the furniture was well worth refurbishing. It would have been a shame to let it rot away. It is very sturdy and I like the style of it. Mind you I can't remember the last time I had a sit down, down the plot, probably some time last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am MOST impressed with all that digging ... I keep finding other things to do rather than visiting my plot at the moment because I know I have to dig it over! You have either inspired me or given me a guilt trip as I now intend to spend the whole morning there tomorrow. Love the chairs by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Pat. I hope the digging was inspirational rather than guilt. Unfortunately for me I have to clear this new plot the hard way to get rid of the Dandelion and Creeping Buttercup weeds. I prefer rotavating and hoeing over large areas of ground both for speed, time saving and it's less effort.

      Delete
  3. I'm gone to tell my little brother, that he should also visit this webpage on regular basis to get updated from most up-to-date news update.
    Feel free to visit my web blog youtube.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a topic that's close to my heart... Thank you! Exactly where are your contact details though?
    Also visit my web site ... how to watch nfl games online

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's really very complicated in this busy life to listen news on Television, so I just use internet for that reason, and obtain the newest news.
    Also visit my webpage buy youtube views

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment. All comments are moderated before they are posted. Thank you for reading my blog. Come back again soon, love, peace and tranquility to you and everyone in your life.

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Post

As my readers will already know I moved to a new house (bungalow) last year. Much work, updating, d. i. y. and a vast amount of gardening and landscaping needed doing to the property. Most of the gardening to the rear of the property has now been completed just as the Wintery weather begins to take hold. A good sized vegetable plot is one of the features in the back garden prepared and ready to be utilised starting with next Springs sowing and planting. With this in mind I spent a couple of weeks last month tidying up N1 plot before deciding to give it up just over a week ago. Due to the amount of work on the house and gardens this year my blog posts have been just about none existent. Over the past seven years I have enjoyed reading many other allotment/gardening blogs and meeting/talking to lots of other gardeners on the "net". I hope my blog has been of interest and some use too, to all who have spent their time looking in on it. Good luck and best wishes to all you love…

Rooko's April Top 10 Tips & Tryouts

1. Clear away spent flower heads from spring flowering bulbs such as hyacinth & daffs. Don't cut away or discard the foliage as it will replace the bulbs energy for its next flowering.

2. If the weather in your area has been dry enough lately and your soil is not wet and heavy, now is the time for some rotavating/digging, adding compost/manure as required to the soil.

3. Air temperatures are still relatively unpredictable in my neck of the woods at present, it may be worth checking the germination temperatures of various seeds before sowing takes place.

4. Easter weekend was the traditional time for getting your potato tubers into the ground. Don't put them into wet soil and remember Easter weekend is early this year so another couple of weeks wait isn't a problem.

5. More overnight frosts have been happening in this part of the country recently, compared to the past few years. So if you are sowing planting this month keep cloches or other plant protection equipment a…

It's Got To Be A First

This little skipper flew into my kitchen today (25th Feb 2016)





There's Always Tomorrow!!