Skip to main content

Still Digging (Part 6)!!
Not Bl***y Likely!


Footprints in the Plot
A Quick Visit to The Plot
 Although I appreciate that many parts of the UK are again suffering from the ravages of continuous rain and high winds, we are certainly taking a hammering south and south west of Bristol. With even more flood warnings issued for Somerset tonight there's more wind and rain to come. Cornwall and Devon are badly affected too, with danger to life warnings issued by the Environment Agency, earlier this evening, for parts of Cornwall. The rain is torrential here as I write this post and the winds are expected to reach 70 mph later on tonight. Although we have received many and frequent weather updates, from our local news bulletins and weather forecasters, there seems to be a distinct lack of so called experts to tell us WHY we are being subjected to such dramatic weather conditions. I expect if and when the rain finally stops, the usual comment will be "we have lessons to learn".

What's your opinion about the recent deluges? Is it just another "typical British Winter setting in", Is it one aspect of global warming? Is it due to carbon footprints? Is it due to global pollution, deforestation, building on flood plains, antiquated infrastructure or an alien plot etc etc. If you haven't yet seen the disaster film (movie), called The Day After Tomorrow (2004), starring Dennis Quaid and Jake Gyllenhaal, have a look. Although its fictional, perhaps the film makers know something the experts don't about the weather.
Brussels in the Wind
Brussels Blown Over
  I visited my plots this morning, for a mere 10 minutes, in the rain, to check things out for the first time since last weekend. The lower part of my new plot is under water with the water level in the nearby drainage ditch rising steadily. A few of my cloches, which were well pegged down? had been blown about by the recent high winds. A few of my Brussels had also been blown over. The allotments were looking totally windswept and sopping wet, with many of the plots to the North of the top road having several inches of standing water on them, adjacent to the road. Apart from some plastic compost bins a few tree branches and several pieces of plastic sheeting being blown about, there didn't seem to be too much serious damage. After I had deposited a couple of bag fulls of kitchen waste onto my compost heap I left for home to warm up and dry off.
Plot Flooding
Lower End of My New Plot 24/Nov/12
New Plot Flooding
No Digging the Dandelions Here
Cloches in the Wind
Cloches Displaced by the Winds

 Never mind there's always the day after tomorrow.

 

Comments

  1. John, you have my sympathy. We have had nowhere near such bad conditions here in Hampshire. I think the weather patterns we are experiencing could well be the result of Global Warming. The whole world has suffered from much more extreme weather conditions than normal, over the last few years. We are somehow going to have to learn to live with them. Maybe allotments built on top of dykes will become the norm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark, I think the current weather trends are a combination of Global Warming and natural changes. Its the speed with which the changes are taking place that may catch us out. I've just had a Poly tunnel delivered today. That's the first protective measure to be installed down the plot. Goes against the grain with me.

      Delete
  2. It has been pretty horrendous hasn't it - a lot of the low-lying fields round here are like lakes, at least the Canada geese are happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has certainly been horrendous Elaine, Hope it hasn't been too bad in your area as the rain moves North. Anyway us Brits always did like complaining about the weather. Funny how the wildlife seem to adapt to various weather conditions.

      Delete
  3. You have had it rough. So far we have had it windy and wet but steady rain not torrential. That said the ground is soggy and unlikely to get dug any time soon,

    Must admit I tend towards the weather has always been changeable brigade. It's difficult to know who to believe on the climate change issue - is it manmade or natural - as it seems that often only one side of the argument is given prominence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sue, thanks for joining my blog. I think you have a point with who to believe about climate change. I find it hard to believe that the boffins can tell us what changes took place thousands of years ago, from various studies, yet there seems to be little or no projection for the future.
      I was hoping to get my new plot cleared before the Spring but as you say due to the soggy ground, now it looks unlikely. We had rain for most of the night again last night.

      Delete
  4. I every time spent my half an hour to read this webpage's posts every day along with a mug of coffee.
    Stop by my webpage : samson tobacco

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's up, constantly i used to check weblog posts here in the early hours in the daylight, since i love to find out more and more.
    my site > my computer is slow

    ReplyDelete
  6. This piece of writing gives clear idea in support of the
    new people of blogging, that genuinely how to do blogging and site-building.


    Also visit my weblog - Camille

    ReplyDelete
  7. Howdy! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could find a
    captcha plugin for my comment form? I'm using the same blog
    platform as yours and I'm having difficulty finding one?

    Thanks a lot!

    Also visit my blog; Arnoldo

    ReplyDelete
  8. If some one wishes expert view concerning blogging and
    site-building afterward i recommend him/her to visit this blog, Keep up the fastidious
    job.

    my page: Neoma

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi friends, how is everything, and what you desire to say concerning this
    piece of writing, in my view its genuinely awesome for me.



    My web blog ... CaseyFAquilera

    ReplyDelete
  10. A motivating discussion is worth comment. I think that you should write more about this topic, it might not be a taboo subject
    but generally folks don't discuss such subjects.

    To the next! Cheers!!

    Here is my web page; DarrelVPelyo

    ReplyDelete
  11. What's up i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anywhere, when i read this
    post i thought i could also create comment due to this good
    post.

    Feel free to visit my weblog :: CatharineOBoffa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment. All comments are moderated before they are posted. Thank you for reading my blog. Come back again soon, love, peace and tranquility to you and everyone in your life.

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Post

As my readers will already know I moved to a new house (bungalow) last year. Much work, updating, d. i. y. and a vast amount of gardening and landscaping needed doing to the property. Most of the gardening to the rear of the property has now been completed just as the Wintery weather begins to take hold. A good sized vegetable plot is one of the features in the back garden prepared and ready to be utilised starting with next Springs sowing and planting. With this in mind I spent a couple of weeks last month tidying up N1 plot before deciding to give it up just over a week ago. Due to the amount of work on the house and gardens this year my blog posts have been just about none existent. Over the past seven years I have enjoyed reading many other allotment/gardening blogs and meeting/talking to lots of other gardeners on the "net". I hope my blog has been of interest and some use too, to all who have spent their time looking in on it. Good luck and best wishes to all you love…

Rooko's April Top 10 Tips & Tryouts

1. Clear away spent flower heads from spring flowering bulbs such as hyacinth & daffs. Don't cut away or discard the foliage as it will replace the bulbs energy for its next flowering.

2. If the weather in your area has been dry enough lately and your soil is not wet and heavy, now is the time for some rotavating/digging, adding compost/manure as required to the soil.

3. Air temperatures are still relatively unpredictable in my neck of the woods at present, it may be worth checking the germination temperatures of various seeds before sowing takes place.

4. Easter weekend was the traditional time for getting your potato tubers into the ground. Don't put them into wet soil and remember Easter weekend is early this year so another couple of weeks wait isn't a problem.

5. More overnight frosts have been happening in this part of the country recently, compared to the past few years. So if you are sowing planting this month keep cloches or other plant protection equipment a…

It's Got To Be A First

This little skipper flew into my kitchen today (25th Feb 2016)





There's Always Tomorrow!!