Skip to main content

Reindeers Make Good Compost


Xmas Present
A Nice Christmas Present
 The continuing rain finally eased off during mid morning today. With my Christmas celebrations over for another year and the last of the minced pies eaten, I decided to visit my plots. It has become a post Christmas ritual for me to take the used, discarded Christmas wrapping paper, cardboard and kitchen waste down to the plot, before new year and deposit it onto the compost heap. Having checked over the mass of paper and cardboard for any none compost able materials it was duly loaded into the back of my car, along with the bagged up kitchen waste and I set off for the allotments.

Two of my fellow allotmenteers arrived at the same time as I did, with the intention of checking over their plots for flooding and wind damage. They remarked that not much work would be possible due to the saturated condition of the ground. Leaving my car on the allotment road next to Plot N2, (my grass parking areas were far too wet and soggy to park on), I unloaded the car and deposited the paper, card and kitchen waste onto the compost heap.

Reindeers for Compost
Not Real Reindeers On The Compost Heap Of Course
  All of the grass paths around the plots were sodden with surface rainwater, with several inches of standing water on the lower end of both plots. The weak Winter sun was by now just showing through the broken cloud, but not warm enough to dry out the ground. Jason, who's plot is next to mine was the fourth person in attendance. He was busy digging trenches along the length of his plot and installing a drainage system, so that the rainwater would run off down the sloping ground into the drainage ditch at the lower, southern, end of our plots. I checked out my sheds for water damage and any leaks, tidied up some paper and vegetation that had been blown onto my plot, depositing onto the compost heap. I then checked over the beds of both plots. The Rhubarb plants were growing well, each with several new stalks already well developed. The Chives and Welsh Onions and Strawberry trees seemed unaffected by the wet ground, as did the Senshyu Onions at the top end of N1 plot. My Spring Cabbages were just about surviving the wet conditions but by now they badly need thinning out. My overwintering Lettuces, under cloches, were at about the same stage of growth, as they were the last time I visited the plot. I shelled a few more Runner beans inside my shed then left for home, deciding that nothing else could be achieved.

Latest news flash from Sky News, Potatoes selling at approximately £12 per bag (Somerset).

Muddy Leeks
Mud Splattered Leeks
Waterlogged Ground
Waterlogged
N2 Plot 30/12/2012
Lower End of N2 Plot 30/12/2012
Rhubarb
Rhubarb Looking O.K. Top of N2 Plot 30/12/2012
Chives Strawberry Trees Welsh Onions
Welsh Onions Chives & Strawberry Trees Looking O.K. Top of N2 Plot 30/12/2012
Waterlogged Alpine Strawberries
Waterlogged Alpine Strawberries 30/12/2012

There's always tomorrow.

Comments

  1. I'm really glad that my veg are mostly grown in raised beds. We haven't had rain as bad as you, but it has still been a pretty wet December. The aquifers will have been well and truly topped-up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll need a month of sunshine to dry things out! At least we have just mud and not standing water - well that was over 10 days ago so maybe by now we have puddles too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment. All comments are moderated before they are posted. Thank you for reading my blog. Come back again soon, love, peace and tranquility to you and everyone in your life.

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Post

As my readers will already know I moved to a new house (bungalow) last year. Much work, updating, d. i. y. and a vast amount of gardening and landscaping needed doing to the property. Most of the gardening to the rear of the property has now been completed just as the Wintery weather begins to take hold. A good sized vegetable plot is one of the features in the back garden prepared and ready to be utilised starting with next Springs sowing and planting. With this in mind I spent a couple of weeks last month tidying up N1 plot before deciding to give it up just over a week ago. Due to the amount of work on the house and gardens this year my blog posts have been just about none existent. Over the past seven years I have enjoyed reading many other allotment/gardening blogs and meeting/talking to lots of other gardeners on the "net". I hope my blog has been of interest and some use too, to all who have spent their time looking in on it. Good luck and best wishes to all you love…

Rooko's April Top 10 Tips & Tryouts

1. Clear away spent flower heads from spring flowering bulbs such as hyacinth & daffs. Don't cut away or discard the foliage as it will replace the bulbs energy for its next flowering.

2. If the weather in your area has been dry enough lately and your soil is not wet and heavy, now is the time for some rotavating/digging, adding compost/manure as required to the soil.

3. Air temperatures are still relatively unpredictable in my neck of the woods at present, it may be worth checking the germination temperatures of various seeds before sowing takes place.

4. Easter weekend was the traditional time for getting your potato tubers into the ground. Don't put them into wet soil and remember Easter weekend is early this year so another couple of weeks wait isn't a problem.

5. More overnight frosts have been happening in this part of the country recently, compared to the past few years. So if you are sowing planting this month keep cloches or other plant protection equipment a…

It's Got To Be A First

This little skipper flew into my kitchen today (25th Feb 2016)





There's Always Tomorrow!!