Skip to main content

Busy (Not The Honey Bees Though)

My last post was 9 days ago and things have been very busy for me since then. The weather has been perfect for seed sowing many vegetable seeds, outside, during the past week or so, here in Taunton. Last Tuesday and today were exceptionally sunny and warm, although the persistent westerly wind is keeping temperatures lower than they would be, without it. Having visited my plots for many hours during the past week or so, with several evenings taken up checking out germinating seeds in my new poly tunnel, my blogging time has been severely curtailed. Having just read through most of the latest blog posts on my blog and following lists, (hopefully I will get chance to comment on them this weekend), one or two topics are well mentioned recently. The weather of course, mainly referring to the effects of the persistent wind seems to be one main topic. Everyone seems to be taking advantage of the warmer weather, enjoying sowing and planting a varied collection of seeds and plants, all of which are in a different stage of development, depending on which area of the planet the author is working. With the onset of the warmer weather bringing out a vast array of wildlife (including the Summer gardeners), I have only come across one post mentioning the sighting of the Honey bee. I myself have seen plenty of Bumble bees (approximately 6 different species) over the past few days, but as yet no Honey bees, to be seen yet.

Gooseberry Plants
Gooseberries Greening Up 19/4/2013
I completed seed sowing on this years "roots bed" on N1 Plot this afternoon having sown, (in 15 feet rows), 2 of Beetroot (Boltardy), 2 of Swede (Marion & Invitation), 2 of Radish (next to the Swedes to repel Flea beetle, hopefully) (Scarlet Globe), 2 of Parsnip (Gladiator & Tender and True), 2 of Carrots (Early Nantes), 1 of Chard (Rainbow), 2 of Turnips (Purple Top Milan) and 3 of Lettuce in between rows (B & Q Mixed and Webs Wonderful).

Peas Under Cloches 19/4/2013
Peas Doing Well Under Cloches 19/4/2013
Six 15 feet rows of Peas have been sown into the Legumes bed of N1 Plot (Hurst Greenshaft). 2 of the rows (under cloches) are currently well established, with the other 4 rows (not covered) still to germinate. The 5 large blue plastic barrels, situated at the lower end of N1 Plot have now been sown with Carrot seeds and covered with polythene sheeting to aid germination of the seeds. Hopefully this method will again deter any Carrot flies. General talk around the allotments recently, is that there will be a large rise in the slug population this year. That maybe true, after the wet weather we have had, BUT BE WARNED, take precautions against the Cut-worm this year, (i.e. plant collars around Brassicas).

Beer & Compost
Out of Date Alcohol for the Compost Heap (Not the Tins) 19/4/2013
 Most of yesterday was spent giving my plots a haircut. The grass verges and paths were strimmed and mowed all around, funny how grass seems to keep growing despite adverse weather conditions, although much of it around our allotments is yellowish in colour rather than green. There are several causes for grass yellowing, but on this occasion it is probably due to earlier water logging, over the Winter and earlier Spring. Nonetheless the cuttings will come in handy on the compost heap. Speaking of composting I decided to dispose of the contents of several old lager and beer cans onto my compost heap to help break down the compost. Good idea? Maybe, maybe not, but it can't be any worse than composting Walnut shells which can be toxic to some plants.
Plum Tree Blossoming 19/4/2013
Plum Tree Blossoming 19/4/2013
 Many gardeners in U.K. will know that this years growing season is later than normal due to the protracted Winter weather. I was glad to have erected a Poly tunnel recently, on N2 Plot. Although the ground inside the tunnel is only partially prepared for direct sowing/planting, (next weeks project), the tunnel has already been worth it's weight in gold. I've spent much time since last week sowing various seeds into pots, which were promptly placed inside the tunnel. This has allowed me to catch up with the germination of Runner beans and Sweetcorn already. I had originally planned to sow these 2 crops directly outside. The Onion sets, planted on N2 Plot have finally started to show good signs of growth, due to this weeks warmer weather.

Cowslip
Cowslip 19/4/2013

Onion Sets
Onions Growing At Last 19/4/2013

                                                                                                                                                                                    
Carrots in a Barrel
Carrots Sown into Barrels 17/4/2013

Comments

  1. It has been too windy to sow seeds outdoors over the last couple of days but hopefully now it has dies down we should be able to do just that. Our plum trees were just in bud on Tuesday when we lat went to the plot so I'm looking forward to seeing if we have flowers now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a few near accidents with the seed sowing in the breezy conditions but got away with it apart from 1 or 2 stray seeds. Its always nice when the fruit trees start to blossom. I hope the forecast frosts for this coming weekend don't spoil things.

      Delete
  2. You're well on your way now, such an advantage to have a polytunnel to keep out of that wind! It's very sunny but cold again here in Hungerford. A frost this morning, but it won't affect us as we've no seeds on the go yet!!
    We really should be able to get all our spuds in today though - phew. Feel like we may be catching up a little...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt like I was making some progress after I got my spuds in. Although the weather has been relatively warm here again this week the temperatures are dropping quickly on an evening and night, so the poly tunnel is very handy.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like everything is going great guns on your plots. For me this time of year is what veg gardening is all about - although the wind was a bit of a drawback I have really enjoyed being outdoors again doing what I love best. Happy gardening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy gardening to you too, this time of the year is usually the busiest but most enjoyable. I've managed to mostly catch up with sowing etc after the bad weather. I decided that my tired old front garden & drive needed replacing so I've started on that, could be a mistake at this time of the year. Just shifting approximately 75 square yards of turf, soil, tarmac, sub-soil & rubble.

      Delete
  4. I know what you mean about trying to balance the gardening and the blogging. For me there is the added annoyance of having to go to work too! Like you, I have been trying to make up for lost time - sowing and planting everything in sight...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've failed miserably with the blogging again this week. After catching up down the plot I'm now replacing my front garden. I don't envy workers when there are other things to do, but although I'm retired it often doesn't seem so.

      Delete
  5. You have been busy, we are all in a race to catch up now and I'm sure we will. So glad we have some warmth at last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's nice to have some warmer weather at last and lets hope this growing season is better than the last one. Good luck with yours.

      Delete
  6. Thаnκ you foг evегy other infoгmаtіve wеb sitе.
    Wheге else mаy I am getting that
    kind of infoгmation written іn such an ideal
    manner? I have a unԁertаκing that I am
    simply now operating on, аnd I have been at
    thе glance out for such infо.

    my web site ... Arjun Kanuri

    ReplyDelete
  7. A motіvating discussion is definitely worth cοmmеnt.
    I do believe that уοu should publіsh more аbout this
    subjеct matter, it may nоt be a tabοο matter but usuаlly people don't speak about these subjects. To the next! Best wishes!!

    Feel free to surf to my homepage :: reputation management

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi I am so gгateful I fоund your site, І
    rеаllу found you by accidеnt, while I wаѕ browѕing on
    Google for something else, Αnyhow I am here now and would juѕt like
    to say manу thankѕ for a fantastic post and a all round еnjoyable blοg (I also lovе the
    theme/design), I don’t have time to go through it all at the minute but I have book-marked it anԁ also included your RSS
    fеeds, so when I have tіme I will be
    back tο read mоrе, Please do keеp up thе superb b.


    kate dircksen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, its good article regarding media print, we all understand media is a fantastic source of facts.



    air force ornament

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's very straightforward to find out any matter on web as compared to textbooks, as I found this paragraph at this web site.


    my blog post: lee trotman southern california edison

    ReplyDelete
  11. Usually I don't read article on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very forced me to
    check out and do so! Your writing taste has been amazed me.
    Thank you, quite great article.

    My website; Leopoldo Alejandro Betancourt López

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good article! We are linking to this particularly great post on our
    website. Keep up the great writing.

    doug pitassi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello there, I discovered your web site by the use of Google
    even as looking for a comparable matter, your web site got here up, it appears great.
    I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
    Hello there, simply was aware of your weblog thru Google, and
    located that it's truly informative. I am going to watch out for brussels.
    I will be grateful if you happen to proceed this in future.

    Lots of other people will be benefited from your writing.

    Cheers!

    eric gray buffalo ny

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have read so many posts concerning the blogger
    lovers however this paragraph is actually a fastidious piece of writing, keep it up.



    my web-site ... Edgard Romero Lazo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi this is kind of of off topic but I was wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG
    editors or if you have to manually code with HTML. I'm starting a blog soon but
    have no coding experience so I wanted to get advice from someone with experience.
    Any help would be enormously appreciated!

    my web site ... Edgard Romero Lazo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful items from you, man. I've take note your stuff prior to and
    you are just extremely fantastic. I really like what you have obtained here, really
    like what you're saying and the way in which wherein you say it.

    You're making it enjoyable and you continue to
    take care of to keep it smart. I can not wait to read far more from you.
    That is really a tremendous web site.

    Also visit my webpage; Edgard Romero Lazo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Heya fantastic blog! Does running a blog like this take a great deal
    of work? I have no understanding of programming but I was hoping to start my own blog in the near
    future. Anyway, should you have any ideas or tips for new blog owners please share.
    I understand this is off subject nevertheless I just wanted to ask.
    Thanks a lot!

    My page: Francisco Convit Guruceaga

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey there! I could have sworn I've been to this website before
    but after reading through some of the post I realized it's new to
    me. Anyhow, I'm definitely happy I found it and I'll be bookmarking and
    checking back often!

    My web blog; Reputation Management Press Releases

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent blog right here! Additionally your web site loads up very fast!
    What host are you using? Can I get your affiliate hyperlink for your host?
    I desire my site loaded up as fast as yours lol

    Pedro Trebbau Lopez

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pretty great post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say that I've truly loved surfing around your blog posts.
    After all I'll be subscribing on your rss feed and I am
    hoping you write once more soon!

    Visit my website ... DarcelEPascua

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a information of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious experience concerning unexpected emotions.


    Here is my blog post: ModestoVMerkt

    ReplyDelete
  22. Howdy very nice blog!! Guy .. Excellent .. Superb ..

    I'll bookmark your site and take the feeds additionally?
    I am glad to search out numerous useful info here within the post, we want work
    out more techniques in this regard, thank you for sharing.

    . . . . .

    Also visit my web-site; BertramLHayburn

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for one's marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed
    reading it, you're a great author.I will be sure to bookmark your blog and will
    come back sometime soon. I want to encourage continue your great writing, have a nice morning!


    My web blog ArnoldoHShoger

    ReplyDelete
  24. We stumbled over here coming from a different web page and
    thought I might as well check things out. I like what
    I see so now i am following you. Look forward to exploring your web
    page yet again.

    Check out my blog post ... BreanneAMadia

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good post. I learn something totally new and challenging on websites I stumbleupon every day.
    It's always exciting to read through content from other writers and practice a
    little something from their web sites.

    my web site BobbieZSevadjian

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have learn some good stuff here. Definitely price bookmarking
    for revisiting. I wonder how a lot attempt you put to make such a
    magnificent informative site.

    Feel free to surf to my web site ... ColeenABardos

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment. All comments are moderated before they are posted. Thank you for reading my blog. Come back again soon, love, peace and tranquility to you and everyone in your life.

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Post

As my readers will already know I moved to a new house (bungalow) last year. Much work, updating, d. i. y. and a vast amount of gardening and landscaping needed doing to the property. Most of the gardening to the rear of the property has now been completed just as the Wintery weather begins to take hold. A good sized vegetable plot is one of the features in the back garden prepared and ready to be utilised starting with next Springs sowing and planting. With this in mind I spent a couple of weeks last month tidying up N1 plot before deciding to give it up just over a week ago. Due to the amount of work on the house and gardens this year my blog posts have been just about none existent. Over the past seven years I have enjoyed reading many other allotment/gardening blogs and meeting/talking to lots of other gardeners on the "net". I hope my blog has been of interest and some use too, to all who have spent their time looking in on it. Good luck and best wishes to all you love…

Rooko's April Top 10 Tips & Tryouts

1. Clear away spent flower heads from spring flowering bulbs such as hyacinth & daffs. Don't cut away or discard the foliage as it will replace the bulbs energy for its next flowering.

2. If the weather in your area has been dry enough lately and your soil is not wet and heavy, now is the time for some rotavating/digging, adding compost/manure as required to the soil.

3. Air temperatures are still relatively unpredictable in my neck of the woods at present, it may be worth checking the germination temperatures of various seeds before sowing takes place.

4. Easter weekend was the traditional time for getting your potato tubers into the ground. Don't put them into wet soil and remember Easter weekend is early this year so another couple of weeks wait isn't a problem.

5. More overnight frosts have been happening in this part of the country recently, compared to the past few years. So if you are sowing planting this month keep cloches or other plant protection equipment a…

It's Got To Be A First

This little skipper flew into my kitchen today (25th Feb 2016)





There's Always Tomorrow!!