A change is as good as a rest, usually, so on Saturday I visited my plots and spent a fine sunny day sowing various seeds into pots which are currently awaiting germination in my poly tunnel. Although the daytime temperatures have been around 13 or 14 degrees C, the evening and night time temperatures have been much lower, only a few degrees above freezing. Most of the seeds I sowed previously into my roots bed on N1 Plot have germinated. Six rows of Peas are now growing well and even the Potatoes are showing through on N2 Plot. With numerous plants growing well in my poly tunnel in pots and trays and even the Carrots in my barrels germinating things are looking good at the moment. Yesterday was again spent working on my front garden removing more subsoil, rubble and debris.
|Lawn Being Turfed Out|
Clear skies and sunshine was the order of the day again today although the annoying cool westerly breeze was back. I arrived at my plots by 9-30 a.m. and began preparing my Brassica bed on N1 Plot. The well composted (last Autumn) bed, only needed lightly forking over with the removal of a few weeds. By the time I had completed half of the bed I decided that some more seed sowing, into pots was called for. I potted up the remainder of my Sweetcorn seeds, using a mixture of sieved soil from my front garden and potting compost. Using the sieved soil to part fill the pots, then topping them up with seed sowing compost saved on over using pricey general purpose/seed sowing compost. I potted up more Alpine Strawberries, Gooseberries that had self seeded on the allotment, along with more Runner beans and a couple of Lemon balm were split and re-potted. By the time I had placed the pots into trays and deposited them into the Poly tunnel and chopped the heads off the Dandelions in my grass paths it was time to toddle off home.