Skip to main content

50/50

Another week of sunny dry weather has seen me alternating work between my allotments and re-designing my front garden. With the turf removed from my garden and transported in my car to N2 plot (about 40 trips) over a week ago, I have continued to remove the top soil, spreading it around the flower borders of my back garden. The borders are now "well soiled up" and today I began transporting bags of top soil to N2 plot, adding it to the last uncultivated bed, to be dug in at a later date. In between the work on my front garden, several pleasant days have been spent sowing more seeds into pots and also directly into the beds of N2 Plot. Due to the recent dry weather several evenings have been spent watering the emerging seedlings on both plots and in particular the pots and trays in my poly tunnel. Temperatures in the tunnel reached 30 degrees C today with the air vents open. Most of the ground inside the tunnel has not been prepared or weeded yet, although yesterday I spent an hour or so clearing and digging over a few more feet of it.

Turf Stacked
Turf From Front Garden Stacked In Compost Bin On N2 Plot

Top Soil Transfer
First Batch Of Top Soil From Garden To N2 Plot 5/May/2013

Potato Plants Emerging
Potatoes Showing Through N2 Plot Main Bed


Hurst Greenshaft Peas
Peas N1 Plot 5/May/13 (Hurst Greenshaft)

Yard Long Beans
Yard Long Beans Planted Into Poly Tunnel (From Seed in Pots)

Still Organizing the Poly Tunnel 5/May/13
Still Organizing the Poly Tunnel (5/May/13)

Runner Beans
Runner Beans in Poly Tunnel (5/May/13)




There's Always Tomorrow!!

Comments

  1. Your plots look immaculate Rooko - you must be fit as a fiddle to keep that lot going - they make my plot look tiddley in comparison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elaine, It's been hard graft for the last few weeks, but once its tidy I can generally keep up with it. Bad weather is the only thing that slows down progress.

      Delete
  2. I love the disiplined orderliness of your rows of spuds! It really appeals to the ex-Army man in me... And of course the car behind the pile of turf looks to me as if it is sheltering in a bunker! In my Army days I would have loved to have had you in my platoon - you would undoubtedly have dug the neatest and deepest trenches in the entire unit! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to try and keep things organized as I think it saves time and effort in the long run. Digging trenches for my Runner beans is about to commence soon. Must be my ex-R.N. (F.A.A.) training.

      Delete
  3. We have a similar system - some days in the garden and others on the plot and the decorating can wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer the plot & garden to decorating any day.

      Delete

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment. All comments are moderated before they are posted. Thank you for reading my blog. Come back again soon, love, peace and tranquility to you and everyone in your life.

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Post

As my readers will already know I moved to a new house (bungalow) last year. Much work, updating, d. i. y. and a vast amount of gardening and landscaping needed doing to the property. Most of the gardening to the rear of the property has now been completed just as the Wintery weather begins to take hold. A good sized vegetable plot is one of the features in the back garden prepared and ready to be utilised starting with next Springs sowing and planting. With this in mind I spent a couple of weeks last month tidying up N1 plot before deciding to give it up just over a week ago. Due to the amount of work on the house and gardens this year my blog posts have been just about none existent. Over the past seven years I have enjoyed reading many other allotment/gardening blogs and meeting/talking to lots of other gardeners on the "net". I hope my blog has been of interest and some use too, to all who have spent their time looking in on it. Good luck and best wishes to all you love…

Rooko's April Top 10 Tips & Tryouts

1. Clear away spent flower heads from spring flowering bulbs such as hyacinth & daffs. Don't cut away or discard the foliage as it will replace the bulbs energy for its next flowering.

2. If the weather in your area has been dry enough lately and your soil is not wet and heavy, now is the time for some rotavating/digging, adding compost/manure as required to the soil.

3. Air temperatures are still relatively unpredictable in my neck of the woods at present, it may be worth checking the germination temperatures of various seeds before sowing takes place.

4. Easter weekend was the traditional time for getting your potato tubers into the ground. Don't put them into wet soil and remember Easter weekend is early this year so another couple of weeks wait isn't a problem.

5. More overnight frosts have been happening in this part of the country recently, compared to the past few years. So if you are sowing planting this month keep cloches or other plant protection equipment a…

It's Got To Be A First

This little skipper flew into my kitchen today (25th Feb 2016)





There's Always Tomorrow!!