Skip to main content

Eureka And Cut


Some time ago I began to use photographs, taken on my allotments, to keep a record of my gardening activities, as you know us wrinklies tend to have temporary memory glitches at times. As with most technological items, cameras are fine when they work correctly. In this age of high tech devices, when some stat or other is incorrect, have you heard the term "sorry but it was a computer error". Well I thought the input came from the computer operator in the first place, maybe not? Which brings me to the video in this post. Having had my camera some years now, after some "finger trouble" I finally managed to make 2 videos, one yesterday, lets call that one a test piece for want of a better description. Today's effort was slightly better quality, despite the rain, so I decided to publish it. I haven't a clue if there is any audio to go with but I hope my readers get the general idea of what is happening or not happening.

                                                                                                                                                                 The weather over the past 11 days, since my last blog post, has been average for this time of year here in U.K. With overnight temperatures generally lower than the norm I have restricted seed sowing to trays and pots, which are under cover in my poly tunnel, with the exception of more hardier varieties of vegetables. Over the past few days of waiting for higher temperatures to arrive and the germinated plants getting too large for their pots, (potting on is extra work and time consuming), I have planted out the first batch of Sweetcorn and Runner beans. Within 24 hours of doing so the Runner beans were flattened by a heavy shower of hailstones this afternoon, just prior to the rain storm in the video. One days rain during last week did little to aid the germination of seeds sown outdoors and indeed the lack of rain for several weeks now has left most areas of ground parched.

Last Sunday I decided to do a car boot sale, so on Saturday I stripped down my 5 Rhubarb plants, discarding the soft and unusable sticks of Rhubarb, (which should benefit the plants), giving me 7 large sacks of bumper sized sticks. The remainder of my Leeks were lifted ready for the sale along with several fruit bushes and trees in pots. I added a couple of trays of Strawberry plants, Runner bean and Sweetcorn plants to the tally along with other none-plant related items I had for sale. With the current high costs of shop bought Rhubarb, mine was snapped up at the sale. The past 11 days has been busy down my plots with such tasks as, watering seedlings, erecting bean poles, sowing and planting various veggies and flower bulbs, earthing up Potatoes, grass cutting and strimming, adding and removing various protective covers for plants, seed sowing, pruning back some of the large trees which overhang the drainage ditch at the lower end of my plots, sharpening tools and of course doing some weeding. The removal of the top soil from my front garden is approximately 50% complete, with the soil being bagged up and transported in my car to N1 plot each time I make a visit, hopefully this will be finished by the end of next week, weather permitting.

Many small annual weeds have been making their appearances since about the beginning of last week, so this weekend is being dedicated to (joy of joys) weeding and hoe-ing down the plots.


There's always tomorrow!!

Comments

  1. There was sound - only you stopped speaking didn't you? I have been meaning to do a video tour too but haven't got round to it just yet! The plot is looking pristine - where are the weeds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know about the audio Sue. You are correct I did stop speaking, as I didn't think a camera would record audio? I will replace the current video with one which includes audio soonest. Funnily enough there have been very few weeds on the plot this year. Some very small ones are in evidence. I clear most areas of weeds by hand before they set seeds which seems to keep re-infestation to a minimum.

      Delete
  2. Apprеcіate the rеcommendatіοn.
    Lеt me trу іt out.

    Alѕo visіt my weblog - make money online

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the allotment tour. It's interesting seeing the total layout after reading about it and seeing individual shots.
    Sue's right, your plot is pristine - looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Belinda. I've got plenty of re-designing work to do on the plots (mainly N2) this coming Autumn/Winter. It's not as good as I would like it to be at the moment.

      Delete
  4. Your plots are a joy to behold Rooko - so neat and tidy and productive - your hard work obviously pays off - and well done at the car boot. Loved hearing the birds and the rain in the background of your video - it made me go a bit dizzy at times as you whizzed it round but it was nice to see what you get up to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine I've had 6 more attempts at filming the video to add some proper audio and replace the original but there's been a snag with each. Will be trying again this coming week to get it correct??

      Delete

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment. All comments are moderated before they are posted. Thank you for reading my blog. Come back again soon, love, peace and tranquility to you and everyone in your life.

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Post

As my readers will already know I moved to a new house (bungalow) last year. Much work, updating, d. i. y. and a vast amount of gardening and landscaping needed doing to the property. Most of the gardening to the rear of the property has now been completed just as the Wintery weather begins to take hold. A good sized vegetable plot is one of the features in the back garden prepared and ready to be utilised starting with next Springs sowing and planting. With this in mind I spent a couple of weeks last month tidying up N1 plot before deciding to give it up just over a week ago. Due to the amount of work on the house and gardens this year my blog posts have been just about none existent. Over the past seven years I have enjoyed reading many other allotment/gardening blogs and meeting/talking to lots of other gardeners on the "net". I hope my blog has been of interest and some use too, to all who have spent their time looking in on it. Good luck and best wishes to all you love…

Rooko's April Top 10 Tips & Tryouts

1. Clear away spent flower heads from spring flowering bulbs such as hyacinth & daffs. Don't cut away or discard the foliage as it will replace the bulbs energy for its next flowering.

2. If the weather in your area has been dry enough lately and your soil is not wet and heavy, now is the time for some rotavating/digging, adding compost/manure as required to the soil.

3. Air temperatures are still relatively unpredictable in my neck of the woods at present, it may be worth checking the germination temperatures of various seeds before sowing takes place.

4. Easter weekend was the traditional time for getting your potato tubers into the ground. Don't put them into wet soil and remember Easter weekend is early this year so another couple of weeks wait isn't a problem.

5. More overnight frosts have been happening in this part of the country recently, compared to the past few years. So if you are sowing planting this month keep cloches or other plant protection equipment a…

It's Got To Be A First

This little skipper flew into my kitchen today (25th Feb 2016)





There's Always Tomorrow!!