|First Harvest of the Year End of May|
Last Thursday I decided to re-position the shed on N2 plot. I had inherited the 10 feet x 6 feet shed along with the plot. The shed was old and badly situated close to the drainage ditch bank, on the lowest, dampest part of the plot which is susceptible to water logging & flooding at times. Most of the floor boards, several side panels & some of the vertical wooden supports were already rotted away but I decided that repairing the shed would be a far cheaper option than buying a new one of comparable size. I constructed supports for the shed base using some of the flag stones from my front garden project stacked one on top of the other. The final position of the shed would be a few feet away from my other shed on N1 Plot. The shed roof was in good water tight condition so I decided to remove the sides of the shed trying not to disturb and damage the roof and roofing felt. I propped up the roof with various pieces of timber and duly removed the door end and 1 side of the shed. Due mainly to the persistent stiff easterly breeze (not mentioned in the health and safety handbooks) it was apparent that the roof might have blown off its supports, so I had to cut the felt down its centre and take it down in 2 pieces. The roof was quite heavy and my thanks go to Dave, Jason, Alan and Jeremy, (4 of my fellow plot holders), for helping me lift the roof sections off and back on again. Before the sides and roof were re-assembled I constructed a floor using decking boards (seconds). The rotted upright supports were replaced with new battens, after which it wasn't too difficult to re-build the shed and replace some of the shorter, rotted side panels. By the end of the weekend the shed was up and on Monday the central part of the roof was re-felted and sealed with roof & gutter sealant. Tuesday was spent replacing some of the guttering and emptying the old water butts. Most of the water was used to water my Potatoes on N2 Plot. Supports were made using more paving slabs & some breeze blocks and 2 butts were positioned onto them. The intention is to have 4 or 5 interconnected butts alongside the window side of the shed, close to the veggie beds on N2 Plot. Other guttering & butts will be put in place on the drainage ditch side of the shed as time allows.
|Old Shed on N2 Plot Being Dismantled|
|Repairing the Shed Panels|
|Guttering Being Fitted|
|Almost Finished 11th June 2013|
|Here's a Money Saving Tip (Don't Buy Brackets)|
|Transferring Soil from the Drainage Ditch Bank & Removing Dandelion Roots|
|Where the Shed Was Raising the Soil Level Ready for Raised Beds|
|Potatoes Flowering N2 Plot 12/6/13|
|Strawberries Ripening 12/6/13|
|Cabbages Looking Good 12/6/13|
There's Always Tomorrow!!