Skip to main content

Buzzing!!


Leggy Carrot
2 For the Price of 1
Last Monday was a pleasant day working down my plots, bright sunny weather with a cool breeze, so I decided to start digging over the final untouched bed of N2 Plot. The ground was baked dry even after the recent light & heavy rain showers and it was difficult to drive the spade into the soils surface. After the spade had penetrated the ground a few inches the dry lumps of clay began to break down fairly easily, easier than digging the central bed of N2 over last Winter I thought. This bed too is infested with various long standing weeds, (mainly large Dandelions again), but once it is cleaned out by hand future cultivating should be rather easy over the entirety of both plots. After a couple of hours digging and weed removal, roots and all, I had progressed down the bed just over 3 feet (1 meter). I then decided to check the condition of my Runner beans which have been of below average both in condition and amount this year. I was pleasantly surprised to see the first Honey bee (3 in fact) visiting the flowers on my beans. The 2 insects that have been missing from my plots until this week have been Honey bees and Hover flies, which I usually see a lot of. Since Monday both have again been visiting in significant numbers. Definitely better late than never.

Honey bee on Dandelion
The Honey bees Are Back
 Since Monday more Leeks have been thinned out and puddled into place where my garden peas were growing earlier this year on N1 Plot. My Sprout plants which are already showing small sprouts needed thinning out again and when that was done the N1 brassicas bed was hoed over and weeded. Due to the mostly hot dry weather conditions this year weeding hasn't been much of a chore. The black grape vine growing between my sheds has many "runners" sprouting from it, in all directions. I spent an hour or so attaching wires between the shed roofs to train the vine across the top of both sheds and also tied back some of its lower branches. My second batch of Onions which were lifted several days ago have now been dried out and are being kept, loosely stacked in trays in my garage as I haven't got the time or inclination to tie (hang) them. I seem to have run out of tights which was one method I used to use for hanging up Onions. Watering has again been necessary this week, mainly on the raised beds at the lower end of N2 Plot where I sowed Carrots, Beetroot, Spring onions, Cabbage & Cauliflowers. These are growing nicely in the semi-shade of the nearby hedgerow at present. 4 Tomato plants in 1 of the beds also require regular watering.
Butternut Squash
Butternut Squash Looking Good 15/August/2013
Pumpkin
Pumpkins Soon 15/August/2013
Black Grapes
Underneath The Black Grapevine 15/August/2013
Cucumbers
Cucumbers Hanging Over The Side Of A Raised Bed 15/August/2013
  Several harvesting sessions have been done this week with extra veggies needed for family visitors arriving this coming weekend. Due to the dry ground conditions my main crop Potatoes (Desiree) are being lifted as required for use this year, thus avoiding any large scale storage problems. So far Carrots, French beans, Lettuce, Swede and Chard have been of very good quantity and quality, along with garden peas from the freezer and Sweetcorn coming in top of the list for the past 3 weeks or so. On the downside, the main growing stem of my Apple tree snapped off yesterday under the weight of the fruit it was bearing. Just goes to show that putting off jobs like thinning out some of the fruit, (which I intended to do last week) doesn't always pay off.

Apples & Carrots
Some of This Weeks Harvest

Harvesting 15/8/13
More Harvesting 15/August/2013

There's Always Tomorrow!!

Comments

  1. I'm afraid that we can never bring ourselves to thinning fruit so just end up with smaller apples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Sue, this year I've got a glut of most fruit so thinning some out during a glut isn't too bad

      Delete
  2. What are those long green things in the last photo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elaine, the "long green things" are yard long beans, the ones in the photo were just over 2 ft long.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful healthy harvest. Everything looks perfect. I hope you have a very big Freezer. Marion x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marion and thanks. I originally thought my freezer was 13 cubic meters but its 18. With the glut of fruit (and peas) this year it is already full. I still have to do the bulk harvesting yet. Not everything is perfect, Runner beans and Parsnips not as good as last year.

      Delete

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment. All comments are moderated before they are posted. Thank you for reading my blog. Come back again soon, love, peace and tranquility to you and everyone in your life.

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Post

As my readers will already know I moved to a new house (bungalow) last year. Much work, updating, d. i. y. and a vast amount of gardening and landscaping needed doing to the property. Most of the gardening to the rear of the property has now been completed just as the Wintery weather begins to take hold. A good sized vegetable plot is one of the features in the back garden prepared and ready to be utilised starting with next Springs sowing and planting. With this in mind I spent a couple of weeks last month tidying up N1 plot before deciding to give it up just over a week ago. Due to the amount of work on the house and gardens this year my blog posts have been just about none existent. Over the past seven years I have enjoyed reading many other allotment/gardening blogs and meeting/talking to lots of other gardeners on the "net". I hope my blog has been of interest and some use too, to all who have spent their time looking in on it. Good luck and best wishes to all you love…

Rooko's April Top 10 Tips & Tryouts

1. Clear away spent flower heads from spring flowering bulbs such as hyacinth & daffs. Don't cut away or discard the foliage as it will replace the bulbs energy for its next flowering.

2. If the weather in your area has been dry enough lately and your soil is not wet and heavy, now is the time for some rotavating/digging, adding compost/manure as required to the soil.

3. Air temperatures are still relatively unpredictable in my neck of the woods at present, it may be worth checking the germination temperatures of various seeds before sowing takes place.

4. Easter weekend was the traditional time for getting your potato tubers into the ground. Don't put them into wet soil and remember Easter weekend is early this year so another couple of weeks wait isn't a problem.

5. More overnight frosts have been happening in this part of the country recently, compared to the past few years. So if you are sowing planting this month keep cloches or other plant protection equipment a…

It's Got To Be A First

This little skipper flew into my kitchen today (25th Feb 2016)





There's Always Tomorrow!!