|Most of the Potatoes Developed Close to the Surface Due to Dry Weather and Compacted Clay 8/September/13|
|Funny Looking Fellow|
I started the digging/lifting the Potatoes at the lower south end of the bed where the soil is in partial shade from the nearby hedgerow. The first meter or so of ground was well flooded during last Winter & Spring. The first plant I lifted in the bottom corner had been affected by blight and was of no use, with the tubers being well rotted in the ground. The plant, tubers and surrounding soil were placed inside a plastic bag for disposal. Moving along the rank no other plants were affected and due to the damp condition of the soil, which was fairly loose here, the potatoes were coming thick and fast with some huge sizes and up to 12 per plant. As I progressed up the slope the ground became drier and totally compacted underneath the plants, making lifting them and forking the soil over, difficult to say the least. The amount and sizes of the potatoes lessened somewhat as I continued up the bed. By Thursday I had swapped my potato fork for a spade which enabled me to slice the soil more easily, breaking it down as I progressed. The removal of weeds and returning Dandelions was done at the same time. Overnight rain on Thursday night with some fairly heavy showers on Friday afternoon softened the soil a little but not enough to make the deeper clay softer. Large clumps of clay and sub soil were lifting away together. Each one of these had to be broken down finer using the spade.
|Half Way Down Bed 2 (Left) - Half Way Up Main Bed (Right) 8/September/13|
|Some of the Harvested Desiree 8/September/13|
With the recent change to cooler, still sunny, but not hot, weather, my Runner beans have finally started some prolific production from the top of the plants. About 10 pounds were picked yesterday and are now in the freezer. My French climbing beans have just about stopped production now, should have sown more this year. Sweetcorn on Plot N1 has mostly been harvested and used but the second sowing on N2 Plot is still producing excellent cobs. Most of the Brassicas and Leeks have perked up since the onset of the cooler conditions and some rain, with the Black grapes almost ready to harvest, probably this coming week. Taking a break from lifting Potatoes on Friday morning, my overwintering Onions were sown on N1 Plot with another 2 rows to be added this week.
|Caterpillars Feasting On My Sprout Plants 8/September/13|
Lots of caterpillars have been hatching over the past few days, mainly the offspring of Cabbage white butterflies that have been fluttering around abundantly recently. A word of warning check your brassicas now. I spent half an hour today removing caterpillars from my Sprout and young Cauliflower plants.
|Tomatoes Still Ripening 1 At A Time 8/September/13|
|Large Bumble Bee On 1 of My Marigolds 8/September/13|
There's always tomorrow!!!