Skip to main content

Dual Cabbage Ways

Having decided to take a weeks holiday break, I spuddled off to North Wales and spent last week in a holiday cottage near Dolgellau, Gwenedd, in the Snowdonia National Park. Last Thursday I drove to Anglesey, visiting the Plascadnant hidden gardens before travelling on to Beaumaris. I was well impressed by the various gardens within Plascadnant, from the Chelsea flower show winning vegetable garden to the forest and victorian walled garden. Wildlife was in abundance including Red squirrels and Yellow wagtails. After a week of sightseeing I drove back to Somerset on Saturday via Shrewsbury in torrential rain, passing close by to Percy Throwers garden centre, (remember Percy, of Gardeners World fame, 1950's to 1980's and his catchphrase "the answer lies in the soil"). Joining the M5 motorway near Worcester the rain was still heavy and I was wondering what condition my plots would be in, on my return. I'd left Dolgellau at 7 a.m. expecting to get home early enough to put in an afternoons work down my plots. Just north of Gloucester all 3 lanes of the motorway were gridlocked and remained so all the way to Bridgwater in Somerset. The flashing speed warning lights on the motorway were indicating 40 or 50. I don't know if that was the actual speed limit or the amount of cars per hour being allowed to enter Devon and Cornwall. Anyway a typical Bank holiday driving experience arriving home at 1-30 p.m.. Green Party take note on carbon footprints. Emmets try Blackpool.

Broad beans (Aquadulce)
First Pick of Broad Beans (Aquadulce) (26/5/14)

I managed to get down to my plots by about 3 p.m. as the rain continued. My neighboring plot holder Jason had watered the plants in my poly tunnel whilst I had been away so many thanks to him. I'd expected the grass areas of the plots to have taken a break last weekend especially the banks by the drainage ditch but no such luck so some strimming and mowing is planned for this week. There was a general lack of weeds so no problem there, not surprising though as the temperatures were down and I could actually see my breath in the air by 4 p.m. The cool weather vegetables were looking in good condition with the Potato plants looking especially healthy. With some rain showers again on Sunday morning it was half a day down the plots in the afternoon which was warm and sunny. A couple of my Cucumbers which were planted into one of my raised beds had been devoured by either slugs or snails leaving 7 out of 9 intact. I removed my remaining Leek plants, which were going to seed, from their bed on N1 Plot turning and leveling the soil as I progressed. 2 plants were left in the ground to go to seed. The seeds will be harvested for use later. I headed off to my plots at about 10 a.m. on Monday morning. The overcast sky cleared by about midday giving way to a sunny but muggy afternoon. 2 rows of Marrows (Long green trailing) were planted out into the bed where the Leeks were removed from on Sunday. After this task was completed I decided to remove the wooden edging around the 4 smaller beds on N2 Plot, taking out the central grass paths and combining the 4 beds into 2 larger ones. After the wood chippings and the weed membrane underneath it had been removed I began to dig over the soil beneath. Unfortunately the membrane had been put in place by the previous plot holder, on top of existing weeds, mainly Dandelions again. Digging over the area was a slow process as I removed the deep rooted Dandelions. By about 4-30 p.m. I had completed about 1/5th of the area to be cleared. There's always tomorrow. Well tomorrow (Tuesday) has come and gone with more progress being made combining the small beds on N2 Plot into 2 larger ones, finishing off with some grass mowing by late afternoon.

Amalgamating Seed Beds
Turning the 4 Small Beds On N2 Plot Into 2 Larger Beds 27/5/14
Cobra Climbing French Beans
Climbing French Beans (Cobra) Ready for Planting Out 27/5/14


Desiree
Main Crop Potatoes (Desiree) Enjoying the Rainy Weather 27/5/14
Blackberry Bush Flowering
Blackberry Bush Flowering N1 Plot L-Shape 27/5/14
Runner Beans & Lettuce
Runner Beans & Lettuce N1 Plot 27/5/14

The following photographs were taken in the Hidden Gardens of Plascadnant Anglesey




















Comments

  1. A great pictorial record of both your plots and your holiday outing. Did it rain a lot in Wales during your time away?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mark. Some rain in Wales, (Welsh sunshine). The second evening was torrential for a couple of hours with thunder and lightening and the Friday was wet but apart from a few light showers nothing to spoil the week. Lots of low cloud shrouding the hills in the early mornings but that was more spectacular than inconvenient. Its worse here in Somerset at present from a gardening point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plot is looking good. Where are your weeds??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat, I've got a few weeds in the bed which is hidden by fruit bushes on N1 Plot. Funnily enough this year the weird weather here is keeping them to a minimum. Quite a few veg not growing properly either.

      Delete

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment. All comments are moderated before they are posted. Thank you for reading my blog. Come back again soon, love, peace and tranquility to you and everyone in your life.

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Post

As my readers will already know I moved to a new house (bungalow) last year. Much work, updating, d. i. y. and a vast amount of gardening and landscaping needed doing to the property. Most of the gardening to the rear of the property has now been completed just as the Wintery weather begins to take hold. A good sized vegetable plot is one of the features in the back garden prepared and ready to be utilised starting with next Springs sowing and planting. With this in mind I spent a couple of weeks last month tidying up N1 plot before deciding to give it up just over a week ago. Due to the amount of work on the house and gardens this year my blog posts have been just about none existent. Over the past seven years I have enjoyed reading many other allotment/gardening blogs and meeting/talking to lots of other gardeners on the "net". I hope my blog has been of interest and some use too, to all who have spent their time looking in on it. Good luck and best wishes to all you love…

Rooko's April Top 10 Tips & Tryouts

1. Clear away spent flower heads from spring flowering bulbs such as hyacinth & daffs. Don't cut away or discard the foliage as it will replace the bulbs energy for its next flowering.

2. If the weather in your area has been dry enough lately and your soil is not wet and heavy, now is the time for some rotavating/digging, adding compost/manure as required to the soil.

3. Air temperatures are still relatively unpredictable in my neck of the woods at present, it may be worth checking the germination temperatures of various seeds before sowing takes place.

4. Easter weekend was the traditional time for getting your potato tubers into the ground. Don't put them into wet soil and remember Easter weekend is early this year so another couple of weeks wait isn't a problem.

5. More overnight frosts have been happening in this part of the country recently, compared to the past few years. So if you are sowing planting this month keep cloches or other plant protection equipment a…

It's Got To Be A First

This little skipper flew into my kitchen today (25th Feb 2016)





There's Always Tomorrow!!