Skip to main content

Autumn

With frequent mentions, in the media lately, of the driest September on record for the U.K. in general, it got me thinking of the weather in my area so far this year. If my memory serves me correctly, with approximately 3 and a half days of some patchy rain in Taunton, since the deluges and floods of last Winter, then that must be a record also. Although surrounding local areas here have had more rain and a few thunder storms since last Spring, in general they have bypassed Taunton. The recent t.v. weather forecasts have been correct and as predicted, last night saw the first heavy downpours of rain and high winds this Autumn. I liked the terminology in one forecast which mentioned persistent rain, rather than heavy or torrential. I was hoping to visit my plots this morning but the persistent overnight rain has put paid to that idea.

With only a handful of tasks to complete down the plots before Winter, such as some repairs to my poly tunnel and part of 1 growing bed plus the L-shaped bed on N1 Plot to prepare, things can be left until later this week. I expect that last nights high winds may have caused some damage, which will give me an indication of what needs battening down for the Winter. Another job I was hoping to do today, was to cover my late carrot plants and lettuces with cloches, but as the latest weather forecast mentioned air temperatures rising a little by the end of this week, there is no hurry to do that either. With 50% of the pruning done last week, to my fruit bushes, I expect the rest can be completed by the end of this week or before any frosts are forecast. Once the remaining marrows and squashes have been harvested, that just leaves any odd jobs and keeping the plots tidy for the rest of the year to do. This season seems to have flown by but has been more leisurely than past seasons and the plots are now in the condition and layout that I want for the foreseeable future.

Just thought I would add a couple of photographs I missed in earlier posts. Its persisting down again outside, so its time for a cuppa.

Strawberry Tree
1st 2 Strawberries of Any Appreciable Size on One of My Strawberry Trees N2 Plot



Strawberry Plants
Strawberry Plants Moved & Re-planted Into Fruit Cage Earlier This Year


There's Always Tomorrow!!

Comments

  1. Such a good idea to keep the plant in the cage. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just have to put the netting over the roof next spring and that should keep the birds from my fruit bushes and strawberries.

      Delete
  2. I seriously love your website.. Great colors & theme. Did
    you create this amazing site yourself? Please reply back as I'm looking to
    create my own blog and would like to learn where you got this from or just what the theme is called.
    Thanks!

    my homepage: home improvement diy ideas ()

    ReplyDelete
  3. Join Blogger, the theme is one of theirs. It can be modified to your own purposes along with a free blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment. All comments are moderated before they are posted. Thank you for reading my blog. Come back again soon, love, peace and tranquility to you and everyone in your life.

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Post

As my readers will already know I moved to a new house (bungalow) last year. Much work, updating, d. i. y. and a vast amount of gardening and landscaping needed doing to the property. Most of the gardening to the rear of the property has now been completed just as the Wintery weather begins to take hold. A good sized vegetable plot is one of the features in the back garden prepared and ready to be utilised starting with next Springs sowing and planting. With this in mind I spent a couple of weeks last month tidying up N1 plot before deciding to give it up just over a week ago. Due to the amount of work on the house and gardens this year my blog posts have been just about none existent. Over the past seven years I have enjoyed reading many other allotment/gardening blogs and meeting/talking to lots of other gardeners on the "net". I hope my blog has been of interest and some use too, to all who have spent their time looking in on it. Good luck and best wishes to all you love…

Rooko's April Top 10 Tips & Tryouts

1. Clear away spent flower heads from spring flowering bulbs such as hyacinth & daffs. Don't cut away or discard the foliage as it will replace the bulbs energy for its next flowering.

2. If the weather in your area has been dry enough lately and your soil is not wet and heavy, now is the time for some rotavating/digging, adding compost/manure as required to the soil.

3. Air temperatures are still relatively unpredictable in my neck of the woods at present, it may be worth checking the germination temperatures of various seeds before sowing takes place.

4. Easter weekend was the traditional time for getting your potato tubers into the ground. Don't put them into wet soil and remember Easter weekend is early this year so another couple of weeks wait isn't a problem.

5. More overnight frosts have been happening in this part of the country recently, compared to the past few years. So if you are sowing planting this month keep cloches or other plant protection equipment a…

It's Got To Be A First

This little skipper flew into my kitchen today (25th Feb 2016)





There's Always Tomorrow!!