Skip to main content

As Is (June 2015)

The annoying persistent stiff, cold breeze returned a few days ago with a change of direction, now blowing from an easterly direction rather than westerly across the allotments. So what difference has that made down my plots. Yellowing of my sweetcorn plants for a start, they don't like a fresh breeze. Direct seed sowing is frustrating, trying to ensure the seeds don't blow out of my hands before I get them safely into their drills. I don't use the plastic contraptions for sowing seeds as I have found them pretty hopeless in the past. Any tall plants such as peas and beans are being blown over but not to any great extent yet. Some time ago I began the task of putting up pea sticks to support (obviously) my pea plants. Having completed both outside ends of several rows I got distracted from this task at the time. Anyway I didn't complete the job, but what has become apparent is that the plants around the perimeter of the bed are supported with sticks and as such are sheltering the rest of the plants in the middle of the bed. All are standing erect despite the breezy weather. This might be a time saving trick for the future.

Leeks
Leeks L-Shaped bed (11/June/15)

Runner beans
Runner beans L-Shaped bed (11/June/15)
Well that's the annoying stuff out of the way, except for the fact that the birds have decimated my crop of cherries for this season, twas a good crop too. I expect they were taking revenge for the fact that they can no longer feast on my strawberries and currants since the completion of the fruit cage on No1 bed. The weather recently, despite the cold breeze has been mostly sunny with alternate overcast days, so planting, sowing and various other tasks have continued on a regular daily basis. No4 bed has been planted out somewhat, with marrows, courgettes and squashes. More successional sowing of lettuce, spring onions and brassicas has been completed. Little weeding has been needed lately, mainly due to the continuing dry weather, although another session of grass mowing and edging was done a couple of days ago.

Strawberries
More Strawberries Fruit Cage (11/June/15)

Currants
Currants Fruit Cage (11/June/15)
With the poly tunnel almost empty of trays and pots containing seedlings, I spent this afternoon reorganizing it. The borders had some compost added to them and were hoed over before some seed sowing took place. A large inverted plant pot was left on the ground in the back corner of the tunnel as shelter for the resident frog who currently lives in there. The first few tomatoes have just developed, inside the tunnel, since yesterday and back out on the L-Shaped bed, only 1 runner bean from the 42 sown a few weeks ago, had failed to germinate, although I found 1 well developed plant pulled from the ground this morning, possibly due to bird damage. After completing the work in the poly tunnel, I decided to replenish one of my water tanks, taking more water from the drainage ditch, utilizing a metal bucket with its handle tied to a piece of rope, I really must get around to installing a water pump, sooner rather than later. With the temperatures at about 25 degrees C this afternoon and 30 degrees C in the poly tunnel, with the door open, it was warm work. By the time the water tank was half filled it was time to spuddle off home for a cuppa.


Roots
No1 Bed (Roots)(11/June/15)

Gooseberries
Gooseberries 2 Bed (11/June/15)
No2 Bed
No 2 Bed Top (11/June/15)
Legumes
No3 Bed Legumes (11/June/15)
Broad beans
2nd Batch of Broad beans Bed 3 (11/June/15)
Brassicas
Bed 4 Brassicas (11/June/15)
Bed 5
Bed 5 Marrows Squashes Bridgwater beans Broad beans (11/June/15)
Tomatoes
First Tomatoes Appearing Poly Tunnel (11/June/15)



There's Always Tomorrow!!


Comments

  1. We have had problems with the wind too. Many of my plants have suffered a lot. I'm very glad that I staked my Broad Beans, because they would have been horizontal by if I hadn't. Shame about your cherries. I suppose it is quite difficult to protect a cherry tree?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The breeze is still continuing here after a couple of days respite. I few of my Winter broad beans got blown over but in general not too much damage. I'm contemplating building wooden frameworks to fit around the fruit trees, maybe something with steps around the outside of it to facilitate pruning?

      Delete
  2. The wind has been relentless this year hasn't it? We held off planting corn and climbing beans as long as we could but last week they had to go in,,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly has, I also held back on a lot of planting out but just couldn't leave beans etc in the poly tunnel any longer.

      Delete
  3. The cold winds have effected growth up here in Sheffield too. Still, your plot is looking pretty good despite the trials of the weather. How do you manage to grow brassicas without mesh to stop the white cabbage moth from destroying them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gwenfar, I expect the wind is quite a bit colder in Sheffield than here. So far this year not many cabbage whites have been about which is unusual. I have a few methods of combating them. Firstly I spend the first half hour or so when I get to my plots, checking for damage, disease or other problems. I generally rub out any insect eggs (which are usually under he leaves). When the caterpillars appear I pick them off especially if they are around the heads of the plants. Also I use a soap spray regularly. A few drops of washing up liquid into 2 liters of water then add 3 or 4 drops of cooking oil also.

      Delete
  4. Hello colleagues, its fantastic post about cultureand completely defined, keep it up
    all the time.

    Feel free to visit my web site - Prime Green Coffee Supplement

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment. All comments are moderated before they are posted. Thank you for reading my blog. Come back again soon, love, peace and tranquility to you and everyone in your life.

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Post

As my readers will already know I moved to a new house (bungalow) last year. Much work, updating, d. i. y. and a vast amount of gardening and landscaping needed doing to the property. Most of the gardening to the rear of the property has now been completed just as the Wintery weather begins to take hold. A good sized vegetable plot is one of the features in the back garden prepared and ready to be utilised starting with next Springs sowing and planting. With this in mind I spent a couple of weeks last month tidying up N1 plot before deciding to give it up just over a week ago. Due to the amount of work on the house and gardens this year my blog posts have been just about none existent. Over the past seven years I have enjoyed reading many other allotment/gardening blogs and meeting/talking to lots of other gardeners on the "net". I hope my blog has been of interest and some use too, to all who have spent their time looking in on it. Good luck and best wishes to all you love…

Rooko's April Top 10 Tips & Tryouts

1. Clear away spent flower heads from spring flowering bulbs such as hyacinth & daffs. Don't cut away or discard the foliage as it will replace the bulbs energy for its next flowering.

2. If the weather in your area has been dry enough lately and your soil is not wet and heavy, now is the time for some rotavating/digging, adding compost/manure as required to the soil.

3. Air temperatures are still relatively unpredictable in my neck of the woods at present, it may be worth checking the germination temperatures of various seeds before sowing takes place.

4. Easter weekend was the traditional time for getting your potato tubers into the ground. Don't put them into wet soil and remember Easter weekend is early this year so another couple of weeks wait isn't a problem.

5. More overnight frosts have been happening in this part of the country recently, compared to the past few years. So if you are sowing planting this month keep cloches or other plant protection equipment a…

It's Got To Be A First

This little skipper flew into my kitchen today (25th Feb 2016)





There's Always Tomorrow!!